Seattle sports teams evaluate ties with Macklemore after controversial concert remarks
Add Reply
Leroy N. Soetoro
2024-09-26 20:58:09 UTC
https://www.komonews.com/news/local/macklemore-declares-f-america-
controversial-pro-palestine-concert-straight-up-seattle-palestine-will-
live-forever-festival-israel-hamas-gaza-war-hinds-hall-kraken-sounders-
sports-teams-concert

SEATTLE — Rapper and Grammy winner Macklemore is facing backlash after a
video captured him saying, "F*** America" on stage during a pro-Palestine
festival in Seattle on Saturday.

The Seattle Kraken and Seattle Sounders FC issued a joint statement saying
they are aware of his "increasingly divisive comments" and that they do
not reflect their values.

Their statement reads:

We believe that sports bring people together and unite us. We are aware of
Macklemore’s increasingly divisive comments, and they do not reflect the
values of our respective ownership groups, leagues, or organizations. We
are currently evaluating our collective options on this matter.

The response came early Monday evening after the 41-year-old used the
language during a "Palestine Will Live Forever Fest" in Seattle's Seward
Park over the weekend.

In a video provided to KOMO News from Cam Higby with "Today is America,"
who was documenting the event, Macklemore can be heard telling the
festival audience to continue talking then makes this comment:

I’m not gonna stop you. I’m not gonna stop you. Um, yeah, F*** America,
That was followed by cheers from the crowd. It's not clear what he said
before that.

RELATED | Macklemore declares 'F*** America' at pro-Palestine concert:
'Straight up'

Those words set off a firestorm on social media.

One user on 'X' writes, "Shame. This country made Macklemore possible.
Where else could he have got rich and famous?"

Another 'X' user posted: "Artists often use their platform to challenge
and provoke thought. I'll have to check out his track 'American' to
understand more of his perspective."

Stand with Us NW (SWUNW), a nonprofit Israel education organization told
KOMO News Macklemore has "repeatedly shown insensitivity to Israeli
victims of Palestinian terror." SWUNW Regional Director Randy Kessler
wrote in a text to KOMO, "He would be a more credible advocate for the
Palestinian cause if he would use his status to call for peace between two
peoples."

"I'm not really surprised by it I'm disgusted by it," said Regina Sassoon
Friedland, Regional Director of the American Jewish Committee Seattle,
"Fighting for the Palestinian people is something, the biggest thing we
could do for Palestinian people is to free them from Hamas the tyranny of
Hamas, a terrorist organization. They should not be ruled by Hamas, that's
not a way to live."

Brooklen Weekley said some outlets are reporting that Macklemore led the
crowd in anti-American chants, she said that's not true and that chants
were "Free Palestine."

She also provided some of the videos she took at the concert. She said she
wouldn't talk about America that way, but added while she realizes she
doesn't speak for Macklemore, she thinks his comment is more nuanced.

"When he said,"F*** America," to me it's more of a stance of we don't like
what's being done to innocent civilians and children and we want to change
that,"Weekley said.

Weekley said she appreciates the singer's support and influence.

"I may not agree with what our country is doing, and who we are funding
and who we are supporting that's why we change it," Weekley said that's
what she intends to do. "When you see something morally and ethically
wrong, you fix it."

Her video captured Macklemore performing a song he released called "Hind's
Hall," named after the building at Columbia University, where pro-
Palestine students protested.

At one point on Saturday night, he told the crowd he didn't know anything
about the Middle East conflict until the October 7th, 2023, attack. He
said he started learning about the history and had to get involved. On
Weekley's video from the festival, Macklemore called it "a genocide" and
said, "it has been since 1948."

The rapper has been vocal about the war in Gaza, slamming America for not
taking what he considers a stronger stance.

"I think what he is missing there the largest piece is that Hamas is a
terror organization...he said he got educated about October 7th, but
nowhere does he mention over 1,200 were murdered, and 250 taken hostage,
and still there are101 hostages now," said Sassoon Friedland.

The rapper is a minority investor in the Seattle Kraken and an investor in
the Seattle Sounders FC. Some fans have raised questions online about his
relationship with the Mariners. One of his songs is often played during
the 7th inning stretch during M's home games.

KOMO News as of this writing has not yet heard back from the Mariners.

"I do hope corporate entities like the Kraken rethink their relationships
and cut ties right away," said Sassoon Friedland.

Macklemore appears to have remained silent since the controversy. KOMO
News reached out via email to him, but so far, no response.
--
We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so that
stupid people won't be offended.

Durham Report: The FBI has an integrity problem. It has none.

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.

a425couple
2024-09-28 18:28:28 UTC
Post by Leroy N. Soetoro
https://www.komonews.com/news/local/macklemore-declares-f-america-
controversial-pro-palestine-concert-straight-up-seattle-palestine-will-
live-forever-festival-israel-hamas-gaza-war-hinds-hall-kraken-sounders-
sports-teams-concert
Hey Leroy, are you in Seattle?

A fair hunk ago, I moved from Seattle to Bothell, then to Lynnwood.