Washington police chief proposes ‘2nd Amendment Sanctuary City’ law
Add Reply
a425couple
2018-11-17 23:36:47 UTC
from
http://mynorthwest.com/1188416/republic-2nd-amendment-sanctuary-city/

Washington police chief proposes ‘2nd Amendment Sanctuary City’ law
Share
BY HANNA SCOTT
NOVEMBER 16, 2018 AT 2:53 PM

(City of Republic Police Department)
The NRA and Second Amendment Foundation have now sued to block I-1639,
the sweeping gun control initiative just passed by voters that, among
other things, raises the age to buy semi-automatic rifles to 21. But
even before the legal challenge, a police chief in a small Eastern
Washington town declared he would not enforce the new gun rules and has
moved to establish a “2nd Amendment Sanctuary City.”

RELATED: NRA, Second Amendment Foundation suing WA over I-1639

Initiative 1639 won nearly 60 percent of the vote, but most of that came
from counties west of the Cascades. It was overwhelmingly rejected by
all but two eastern Washington counties, including Ferry County, where
the police chief of the small town of Republic — population about 1,100
— never expected the initiative to pass.

“I couldn’t see the Washington state voters if they would have read this
initiative, which I doubt most of them did, I couldn’t see most of the
voters in Washington state voting this in,” said Republic Police Chief
Loren Culp.

He was appalled when he realized it had passed.

“It is an initiative that totally tramples on the rights of citizens.
Mostly in the 18 to 21 year old range, but it also requires people to
submit to invasion of their privacy through their medical records. It’s
totally against my oath of office which is to uphold and defend the
Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of Washington
state and I will not enforce it,” Culp explained.

2nd Amendment Sanctuary City
Not only did the Chief decide he and his officer’s would not enforce the
strict new gun laws, he took the issue to the city council last week in
the form of a resolution, he later posted on Facebook proposing the
jurisdiction become a “2nd Amendment Sanctuary City.”

“That says that the City of Republic will not enforce any of the rules
or regulations that violate citizens rights to include the Second
Amendment and the Article 1 Section 24 of the state Constitution which
states that ‘the right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense
of himself or the state shall not be impaired’ and this definitely
impairs the constitutional rights of citizens,” Culp said.

From his perspective as a cop, he is simply doing his duty and there is
no alternative.

“I couldn’t enforce this anymore than I could enforce a law being passed
that says citizens don’t have the right to peacefully assemble or speak
their mind or attend a church of their choice. It’s a constitutional
right just like those are, and I can’t imagine any law enforcement
officer going against oath of office to enforce any of the other
constitutional amendments and I can’t see anyone in their right minds
that would enforce this either,” Culp said.

Beyond the constitutional issues he says there are other concerns with
the new rules, including criminalizing safe storage, defining every semi
automatic rifle as an assault weapon and more.

In addition to asking his District 7 state legislators to introduce
similar legislation in the upcoming session, Culp’s 2nd Amendment
Sanctuary City resolution also calls on other local jurisdictions to
join Republic’s effort by passing their own sanctuary legislation. And
he says they’re already hearing from interested communities.

National attention
The small town is also getting national attention after Ted Nugent — a
passionate defender of the Second Amendment — shared Chief Culp’s post
on Thursday and again today praising Chief Culp as an “American freedom
warrior.”

Chief Culp expects the issues surrounding I-1639 will be resolved in
court, but no matter what happens there or at the city council level, he
says he and his officers will not enforce those gun laws.

The chief has strong support from Republic’s mayor and others in the
city so he is hopeful the council will have his back and approve the
resolution. The council is set to take the issue up at a Monday meeting,
but it is not clear if they will be ready for a vote. They are looking
to possible consequences of such an action, something Chief Culp was not
concerned with.

“There is no legal basis for any lawsuit against me for not enforcing
this. The legal basis is Article 1 Section 24 of the state Constitution
and if they want to use that as toilet paper then I guess they can do
whatever they want,” Culp said.

The state Attorney General’s office would only say that it will review
the ordinance should it pass.

RELATED: Doctors to NRA: Talking gun control is ‘in our lane’

254 Comments
Gronk
2018-11-18 22:03:39 UTC
Post by a425couple
from
http://mynorthwest.com/1188416/republic-2nd-amendment-sanctuary-city/
Washington police chief proposes ‘2nd Amendment Sanctuary City’ law
Share
The results:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/10/30/dramatic-surveillance-video-of-waco-biker-shootout-surfaces/

Dramatic surveillance footage and crime-scene photos obtained by CNN show
the deadly progression of a shootout between rival biker gangs in Waco,
Tex., in May that left nine dead.

In the silent video, men sporting tattoos and black leather jackets
starting punching each other, pull guns and fire, or hit the deck as
scantily clad waitresses flee the scene. Photos show men lying dead in
pools of blood next to motorcycles.

The incident resulted in the arrest of 177 bikers charged with engaging in
organized crime activity — none yet charged with murder — and the recovery
of 480 weapons.

“I asked anybody who had a gun to raise their hand,” Waco Officer Ryan
Holt wrote in a police report obtained by CNN. The network reported nearly
everyone did.
None of the Above
2018-11-19 13:38:38 UTC
Post by Gronk
Post by a425couple
from
http://mynorthwest.com/1188416/republic-2nd-amendment-sanctuary-city/
Washington police chief proposes ‘2nd Amendment Sanctuary City’ law
Share
Pretty sure there is zero connection - not the least problem being
your "results" occurred long before your "cause" But thanks for
playing.
Post by Gronk
[...]
Not seeing much of a downside to this story, beyond damage to the
cafe.
Gronk
2018-11-26 04:52:20 UTC
Post by None of the Above
Post by Gronk
Post by a425couple
from
http://mynorthwest.com/1188416/republic-2nd-amendment-sanctuary-city/
Washington police chief proposes ‘2nd Amendment Sanctuary City’ law
Share
Pretty sure there is zero connection - not the least problem being
your "results" occurred long before your "cause" But thanks for
playing.
This is what guns everywhere can look like.
Sure, there should be mass shootouts all the time everywhere, eh?
Klaus Schadenfreude
2018-11-19 14:03:03 UTC
Post by Gronk
Post by a425couple
from
http://mynorthwest.com/1188416/republic-2nd-amendment-sanctuary-city/
Washington police chief proposes ‘2nd Amendment Sanctuary City’ law
Share
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/10/30/dramatic-surveillance-video-of-waco-biker-shootout-surfaces/
Dramatic surveillance footage and crime-scene photos obtained by CNN show
the deadly progression of a shootout between rival biker gangs in Waco,
Tex., in May that left nine dead.
Was that any worse than the government shootout that left 82 dead?

LOL
Gronk
What government shootout?
Klaus Schadenfreude
2018-11-26 11:19:08 UTC
Post by Gronk
Post by a425couple
from
http://mynorthwest.com/1188416/republic-2nd-amendment-sanctuary-city/
Washington police chief proposes ‘2nd Amendment Sanctuary City’ law
Share
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/10/30/dramatic-surveillance-video-of-waco-biker-shootout-surfaces/
Dramatic surveillance footage and crime-scene photos obtained by CNN show
the deadly progression of a shootout between rival biker gangs in Waco,
Tex., in May that left nine dead.
Was that any worse than the government shootout that left 82 dead?
LOL
What government shootout?
You're really stupid aren't you?

The one where they were trying to collect $200.
Gronk
Nothing in the news about that. Try again.
Klaus Schadenfreude
2018-12-09 12:56:23 UTC
Post by Gronk
Post by a425couple
from
http://mynorthwest.com/1188416/republic-2nd-amendment-sanctuary-city/
Washington police chief proposes ‘2nd Amendment Sanctuary City’ law
Share
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/10/30/dramatic-surveillance-video-of-waco-biker-shootout-surfaces/
Dramatic surveillance footage and crime-scene photos obtained by CNN show
the deadly progression of a shootout between rival biker gangs in Waco,
Tex., in May that left nine dead.
Was that any worse than the government shootout that left 82 dead?
LOL
What government shootout?
You're really stupid aren't you?
The one where they were trying to collect $200.
Nothing in the news about that. Try again.
It didn't happen today, you ignorant fuckwit.

benj
2018-11-19 16:53:54 UTC
Post by Gronk
Post by a425couple
[...]
Not illegally enforcing Unconstitutional laws in Washington State
somehow caused a biker war in Waco Texas? Gronk lay off the stash and
join the adult conversation in reality.

Fact: Supreme Court precedent says that any law unconstitutional on the
face of it is automatically null and void and need not be obeyed and
cannot be enforced. The Second Amendment (as well as some others in the
Bill of Rights are "incorporated" which means that state law cannot
nullify them.
Gronk
2018-11-26 05:08:35 UTC
Post by Gronk
Post by a425couple
[...]
The above is what guns everywhere looks like.
Fact: Supreme Court precedent says that any law unconstitutional on the
face of it is automatically null and void and need not be obeyed and
cannot be enforced. The Second Amendment (as well as some others in the
Bill of Rights are "incorporated" which means that state law cannot
nullify them.
Fact: there have a few decisions allowing restrictions on the 2nd.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/21/us/politics/supreme-court-gun-control-
semiautomatic-connecticut.html

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Monday refused to hear a Second
Amendment challenge to a Connecticut law banning many semiautomatic
rifles. The law, enacted in 2013 in the wake of the mass shooting
at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., made it a crime to
sell or possess the firearms, which critics call assault weapons.

The decision not to hear the case, not long after the mass shooting in
Orlando, Fla., does not set a Supreme Court precedent. But it is part
of a trend in which the justices have given at least tacit approval
to broad gun-control laws in states and localities that choose to enact
them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/supreme-court-wont-review-laws-banning-so-called-assault-weapons/2015/12/07/b562678e-96fb-11e5-94f0-9eeaff906ef3_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_assaultweapon-950a%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

The Supreme Court on Monday declined to review the ability of cities and
states to prohibit semiautomatic high-capacity assault weapons that have
been used in some of the nation’s most deadly recent mass shootings.

The justices decided not to reconsider a lower court’s decision in a case
from the city of Highland Park, Ill., near Chicago. But seven states —
Maryland, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Jersey and
New York — have similar bans, and all of the prohibitions remain in place.

https://patch.com/maryland/baltimore/assault-weapons-not-covered-2nd-amendment-maryland-court-rules
Assault Weapons Not Covered By 2nd Amendment, Appeals Court Rules
The court upheld Maryland's ban on assault weapons, saying that the Second
Amendment does not apply.
Updated February 23, 2017

Observers expect that the case will go before the Supreme Court.