Social/Cultural Stability Undermined By Division Over How To Address Racial Disparity On The Grounds Of Jusitice, Equality And Perceptions Of Whatever Actions Are Necessary In Response
Add Reply
Walt In Seattle
2020-07-26 20:34:09 UTC
We're into what may become a long, hot Summer of discontent. In light of the fact it is human to be discriminatory and judgmental toward others, seeing others as a threat to our way of life because they want what we have that we could share and share alike with them, but understanding or THINKING we understand to wher this can lead, we believe that to do so would be to give ground when it's not natural for human beings to willingly give ground. Thus, we generally don't give that ground. Accordingly, I see the process of dealing with racial disparity as an EXTREMELY difficult process. But we have to get through it.

Although most of us know this, most of us realy don't know HOW to get it done in a practical, effective and lasting way. Some of us take advantage of the difficulty in reaching some form of appropriate resolution to present their ideas as others attempt to FORCE their ideas. The latter -- forced ideas -- and the methods used are a problem illustrated yesterday across the U.S. in a litany of violence.

I can't offer wisdom on solving the racial issues recently laid bare.. I won't even try. But I will note that the violence occurring yesterday in Seattle, and in so many places across the U.S., is a path in the wrong direction.

I understand there are those who disagree with me. They would say nothing gets better results -- more attention and remedial action -- than violence. Certainly, there are some instances to which they can point as example of success. However, what they can not credibly deny is that increasing levels of violence can and probably would destabilize cultures to the point of collapse and all will suffer, including the oppressed or victims of injustice, from that outcome. It's a scenrio that promulgates "us against them" and the perception one group or race must remove or decimate the other in order to survive. It's the basis for a race war, even if that's not what some would originally intend.

Violence is NOT the right thing to do. It CREATES problems, rather than solving them in the long term, and the long term should be our overriding consideration. So, unless you intend to tear it all down then bring misery to yourself and most or all others, you should find another way or at least show resolve to find another way.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/25/us/seattle-protest-riot/index.html
Walt In Seattle
2020-07-27 15:14:11 UTC
In comments from a protester broadcast on KOMO radio this morning, the protester argued that a broken window does not compare to or with a human life. The implication was that people should not be upset about the breakking of a window or other acts of vandalism and that breaking a window or damaging property as an expression of disapproval or anger over what happened in Minneapolis, Atlanta, Louisville and elsewhere is acceptable. It's not. It's an expression of disrespect for the people who own the property, regardless of how it's otherwise rationalized, and it sends the message that either they, the owners of property, must pay a price for what someone else did and/or they must accept that protesters deserve special exception(s) to destroy property as well as loot so as to vent their frustration or anger over an injustice committed by others against others. Such justification is utter BULLSHIT!

While it is true that human life is more important than property and owners of property should understand that concept, those who break windows, burn or otherwise damage buildings, loot and etc. must understand their argument of justification is an attempt to validate retribution or retaliation -- as if breaking windows, burning and looting from others, not the person or people who committed an act of injustice, is truly retributio for or retaliation directly or indirectly against those who committed an act of injustice -- if not a fig leaf meant to greenlight violence against the essence of culture or a way of life. Victims, family of victims, loved-ones of victims, communities where victims lived nor culture itself benefit in no substantial or lasting way from property damage and/or looting. To justify or celebrate it is to imply or directly state that the best response to a wrongful act is to commit another.

Even if that act of response is lesser in degree but still wrong, there's no credible justification for either the original act or the act of response except for the intellectually or morally bankrupt. End of story!