"Lean On Me" to Replace "Star-Spangled Banner"
Add Reply
Mighty Wannabe 😎
2020-07-15 19:16:50 UTC
*"Lean On Me" to Replace "Star-Spangled Banner"*

*Bill Withers live performance - Lean on me 1972*

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8526127/Replace-racist-Star-Spangled-Banner-national-anthem-Lean-says-LA-Times-commentary.html

Replace 'racist' Star-spangled banner as national anthem with 'Lean
on Me', says LA Times commentary

* *Jody Rosen wrote an essay explaining that the anthem has been
viewed as 'racist, elitist, sexist' and claimed that today it feels
like 'a crude relic' *
* *'The wave of reckoning and revisionism that is sweeping the country
may have to come for the national anthem,' the columnist wrote*
* *Rosen's piece was widely mocked by those who are opposed to 'cancel
culture'
*

A Los Angeles Times
<https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2020-07-14/national-anthem-star-spangled-banner-lean-on-me>columnist
has called for The Star-Spangled Banner to be 'cancelled' as the
national anthem and replaced by 'Lean On Me.'

Jody Rosen described how a statue of Francis Scott Key, who wrote the
lyrics, had been toppled in San Francisco on June 20 by Black Lives
Matter <https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/black-lives-matter/index.html>
protesters.

Rosen argued that this was not simply due to Key's ownership of slaves,
but that it was also because of racist attitudes in the song and its
'Anglophile' tone.

He wrote: 'The wave of reckoning and revisionism that is sweeping the
country may have to come for the national anthem.'

Key's poem, 'The Defence of Fort M'Henry,' was written to commemorate an
American victory during the Battle of Baltimore in the War of 1812,
during which the British Royal Navy was successfully repulsed.

Rosen refers to a couplet which some historians have claimed is racist.
The lines of Key's third stanza: 'No refuge could save the hireling and
slave / From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave.'

Bill Withers performs live on stage playing an acoustic guitar in
concert at Hammersmith Odeon in London, 18th November 1972
+3

*

Bill Withers performs live on stage playing an acoustic guitar in
concert at Hammersmith Odeon in London, 18th November 1972

Historians dispute what is meant by the poet's phrase. Some argue that
Key refers to escaped slaves fighting alongside the British - who
promised the men their freedom in exchange for their loyalty on the
battlefield.

Other scholars claim that 'slaves' is used figuratively to describe the
subjects of the British monarch - the redcoats - fighting against free
American patriots.

But Rosen introduces further claims against 'The Star Spangled Banner'
which he roots in its Anglophile tone.

'It's not an especially American song.' Rosen writes. 'Its lyrics are
ornate and Anglophile, with syntax that frustrates the efforts of normal
human Americans to follow along — to deduce who or what, exactly, is
gleaming and streaming.'

Furthermore, he's opposed to the music itself which he says is 'as
British as beef Wellington' because it was transposed from the anthem of
a London gentleman's club.

The columnist discusses various alternatives to the anthem - John
Lennon's 'Imagine,' Irving Berlin's 'God Bless America', Woody Guthrie's
'This Land Is Your Land' - but says they won't do.

Rosen concludes that the song required, 'at a moment when the United
States is in the grip of multiple crises,' is Bill Wither's 'Lean On Me.'

The 1972 soul classic he admits might seem like a strange choice - and
many were able to agree with him on that aspect of his long essay.
In this Oct. 2, 2016, file photo, then-San Francisco 49ers quarterback
Colin Kaepernick kneels during the national anthem before an NFL
football game against the Dallas Cowboys, in Santa Clara, California
+3

*

In this Oct. 2, 2016, file photo, then-San Francisco 49ers quarterback
Colin Kaepernick kneels during the national anthem before an NFL
football game against the Dallas Cowboys, in Santa Clara, California

The conservative commentator Ben Shapiro tweeted: 'Let's replace it with
'Everybody's Special' from Barney and Friends.'

Representative Jim Banks (R-IN), said: 'First they wanted you to kneel,
and now they want to replace the national anthem. This is an erasure of
our history and tradition--plain and simple.'

Media reporter at The Hill, Joe Concha, said: 'Let's just Etch-a-Sketch
everything and start the country from scratch, shall we? Saves time..'

Rosen believes 'Lean On Me' would be successful as a new national anthem
because it is without 'bombast' and directs the singer/listener to look
to their everyday lives instead of the glorious, celestial and majestic.

He writes: 'What's important is the stuff happening down here. The
dramatis personae are you, me, all of us. We the people.'
Just Wondering
2020-07-15 20:57:00 UTC
Post by Mighty Wannabe 😎
*"Lean On Me" to Replace "Star-Spangled Banner"*
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8526127/Replace-racist-Star-Spangled-Banner-national-anthem-Lean-says-LA-Times-commentary.html
Replace 'racist' Star-spangled banner as national anthem with 'Lean
on Me', says LA Times commentary
If the national anthem IS replaced, it will be either "America"
http://www.songlyrics.com/america/my-country-tis-of-thee-lyrics/
or "America the Beautiful".
https://www.metrolyrics.com/america-the-beautiful-lyrics-lea-michele.html
Rudy Canoza
2020-07-15 21:29:49 UTC
Post by Just Wondering
Post by Mighty Wannabe 😎
*"Lean On Me" to Replace "Star-Spangled Banner"*
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8526127/Replace-racist-Star-Spangled-Banner-national-anthem-Lean-says-LA-Times-commentary.html
Replace 'racist' Star-spangled banner as national anthem with 'Lean
on Me', says LA Times commentary
If the national anthem IS replaced, it will be either "America"
http://www.songlyrics.com/america/my-country-tis-of-thee-lyrics/
We're not going to have an anthem sung to the tune of "God Save the Queen,"
and that's that.
I always liked that one the best.
Byker
2020-07-15 22:37:13 UTC
Post by Mighty Wannabe 😎
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8526127/Replace-racist-Star-Spangled-Banner-national-anthem-Lean-says-LA-Times-commentary.html
Replace 'racist' Star-spangled banner as national anthem with 'Lean on
Me', says LA Times commentary
If the national anthem IS replaced, it will be either "America"
http://www.songlyrics.com/america/my-country-tis-of-thee-lyrics/
or "America the Beautiful".
https://www.metrolyrics.com/america-the-beautiful-lyrics-lea-michele.html
Next they'll have school kids placing their hands over their hearts and
reciting the "Black Pledge of Allegiance". Our local NAACP chapter tried to
force this upon the public school system back in 2002. It didn't last long:
The Black Pledge of Allegiance

"We pledge allegiance of the red, black and green

"Our flag, the symbol of our eternal struggle,

"and to the land we must obtain.

"One nation of Black people,

"with one God for us all,

"Totally united in the struggle for Black Love,

"Black Freedom, and Black determination."

That's nothing compared to what the burrheads in Apelanta have in mind...
Atlanta school drops schoolwide Pledge of Allegiance, asks students to
instead recite ‘Wolf Pack Chant’

by Katherine Lam
Aug. 9, 2018

An Atlanta charter school headed into the new school year by telling
students and staff not to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in the morning —
but instead the “Wolf Pack Chant.”

Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School announced on Tuesday it will be
eliminating the Pledge of Allegiance from its morning agenda to make the
institution more inclusive.

“Students will continue to lead the meeting by asking our community to stand
to participate in our Wolf Pack Chant together. Students will also be given
the opportunity to say the pledge at another point during the school day
within their classroom,” the school’s elementary campus president Lara
Zelski said in a news release.

Zelski said school officials made the decision to eliminate the morning
tradition based on events in the last few years where “more and more”
students and staff have chosen not to recite or stand during the pledge.

“There are many emotions around this and we want everyone in our school
family to start their day in a positive manner. After all, that is the whole
purpose of our morning meeting,” Zelski said.

The “Wolf Pack Chant’ will be a new pledge created by the students and
teachers. Zelski said the pledge, most likely named after the school’s wolf
mascot, will “focus on students’ civic responsibility to their school
family, community, country and our global society.”

The charter school opened in 2002 in the Grant Park neighborhood and serves
students from kindergarten to fifth grade.

The Atlanta charter school isn’t the first to eliminate the Pledge of
Allegiance. Bedford Area School District in southcentral Pennsylvania said
in April it will not require students to stand for the pledge. School
officials cited the students’ First Amendment rights as their reason.

"Personally, I hope every student will stand for our flag," superintendent
Allen Sell told WJAC-TV in April. "But if they choose not to, that's their
First Amendment rights and we, as school leaders, have the responsibility to
respect that. The topic of standing, or not standing, has been getting a lot
of national attention, most commonly because of protests at NFL [National
Football League] games.”

President Trump brought the controversy surrounding the national anthem
protest to the forefront last year when he lambasted NFL players who took a
knee during the “Star-Spangled Banner.”

The NFL ultimately decided in May that players should stand for the national
anthem or face a fine in the future.

http://rlu.ru/2GWm3