American Kristalnacht?
Walt In Seattlle
2018-10-25 00:49:04 UTC
What has happened over the past several days, but particularly this morning, heralds a deeply foreboding trend not too different from the trend building in NAZI Germany before and after KristalNacht -- the night of broken glass. This is not to say there is a direct parallel between what is happening in America now and what was happening in Germany 80 years ago. Yet, the rise of demagoguery expressing the politics of fear plus hatred for others, followed by a segment of the general populace who take their cues and act to please their source of inspiration if not that or those they see as being those with all the answers waging a battle against others characterized as their enemy or the essence of all they should revile, is precisely what happend then and what is happening now. As was the case then, now and once more we have a scenario where a group of people are sent a message of intimidation. The recipients are being told by the sender: "Get out of my way and out of my life or I might have to kill you!" I had hoped I would never see in America what I see now as well as expect will only worsen with time.

We are descending into the depth of our demise as the America the framers of the U.S. Constitution would have us avoid....... If it's OK, as President Trump has implied, to body-slam a reporter because he frustrates you or to roughup a protester because he or she is bothersome, have we jumped the gap or are we on the way to jumping the gap to killing or at least presenting an implied threat to kill those who frustrate or bother us? It seems we're on our way to that destiny.

Walt In Seattlle
2018-10-25 03:41:20 UTC
President Trump would contend history cannot be our guide? He would also lay blame principally on the news media for what has happened this week?

You can't mock, deride, label as the "enemy of the people", implicitly condone violence toward members of the press or protesters, castigate an entire political party as an "angry mob" deadset on importing criminals, equivocate violent bigotry and so on then lament our condition as a divided nation where threats or intimidation can blossom. That's talking through both side of your mouth all at once or trying to have it one way then falsely suggest you want it another way!
http://youtu.be/-y0uwd9QAYE
http://youtu.be/fRZqToj9dGY
a425couple
2018-10-25 16:21:53 UTC
Post by Walt In Seattlle
President Trump would contend history cannot be our guide? He would also lay blame principally on the news media for what has happened this week?
You can't mock, deride, label as the "enemy of the people", implicitly condone violence toward members of the press or protesters,
The criminal nutcase needs to be caught and prosecuted.
But there is plenty of left wing criminal activities also.

The NYTimes, WaPo, and CNN have all regularly gone beyond
normal limits in their attacks on the winner of the
2016 POTUS election. Their coverage has been regularly biased,
and incredibly rude.

CNN's Jim Acosta screaming his accusation at an elected POTUS
certainly reduces civility.

Here are a few reminders of left wing violence

Trump presidency: Protests turn violent in Portland, Oregon - BBC News
https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37946231
Nov 11, 2016 - Protests against the election of Donald Trump as US
president turn violent in Oregon. ... US Election 2016 ... After blaming
unrest on "professional protesters", Mr Trump tweeted to commend their
"passion" for America.

Anti-Trump protests, some violent, erupt for 3rd night nationwide
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/11/11/anti...us/93633154/
Nov 11, 2016 - Police used pepper spray on demonstrators in Portland,
Ore., after a ... Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 11, 2016
... presidential election" but now "professional protesters, incited by
the media, are protesting.

Or, for more about violence against Trump supporters
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protests_against_Donald_Trump
Walt In Seattlle
Walt In Seattlle
2018-10-25 17:27:56 UTC
The Crystal Night parallel is more apparent and with the passage of little time. There's Sarah Hauckabee Sanders' implication that the MSM is too "negative", along with President Trump's associated or compatible tweet, ***See https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1055418269270716418 and that President Trump has no more role to play as inspiration for the recent spate of mailed pipe bombs (or devices designed to look like pipe bombs) than did Bernie Sanders for the shooting of several people, including Republican House of Representatives member Steve Scalise, at a Congressional baseball practice session last year. ***See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Congressional_baseball_shooting The Bernie Sanders supporter who shot Scalise and others was not acting on implicit inspiration from Bernie Sanders that nearly approaches what has been uttered or written by President Trump who contends the Democratic Party is an "angry mob" with the intention to allow "hardened criminals" into America as illegal immigrants while commenting about a physical attack on a reporter as if the attack is nothing of which to be ashamed. Bernie Sanders had not declared the Fox News/Sean Hannity alliance with Donald Trump the "enemy of the people". Neither had he indicated that, in the past, protesters at his rallies would have been treated in a way which is different from how protesters are treated now and the old way might not be so bad -- an old way that could include roughing up protesters. Bernie Sanders also did not equivocate bigotry that motivated violence causing an innocent person's death. For Sarah Huckabee Sanders to compare Donald Trump to Bernie Sanders, as she did, would be absolutely ludicrous if it was not as appalingc as it is. And, today, there is Donald Trump's tweet.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1055418269270716418
[President Donald J. Trump on 10-25-2018 at 4:18 AM PDT] A very big part of the Anger we see today in our society is caused by the purposely false and inaccurate reporting of the Mainstream Media that I refer to as Fake News. It has gotten so bad and hateful that it is beyond description. Mainstream Media must clean up its act, FAST!

After Crystal Night, Jews were cast as having brought their troubles on themselves and were indirectly told they deserved what they had gotten or were soon to get. Similarly, President Trump sends a message the MSM caused that which promulgated the recent intimidation noted above. That message contradicts or erases what President Trump said yesterday about how violence and intimidation are antithetical to democracy itself.

The MSM is responsible for making conservatives "angry" and so angry that they'd send prominent Democrats pipe bombs or facsimiles of same? The MSM is to be intimidated or threatened with the prospect of death for correcting Donald Trump's avalanche of lies and distortion as is in evidence in so many instances but currently in such as what President Trump has to say about immigration? The MSM has to sing President Trump's praises, and ONLY his prasises, as with FoxNews as their model, or they are causing and, by implication, to blame for what they or at least CNN have gotten? This isn't victim-blaming?
http://youtu.be/fRZqToj9dGY
Walt In Seattlle
2018-10-26 16:12:26 UTC
Update On Intimidation Campaign:

A man in Florida has been arrested in connection with the pipe bombs or pipe bomb facsimiles sent to various prominent Democrats. A press conference at DOJ is scheduled for 11:30 AM PDT on 10-26-2018. President Trump may have some comments before the press conference.
Walt In Seattlle
2018-10-26 16:56:53 UTC
Cesar Sayok, according to CNN,is the persons in Florida arrested this morning. President Trump has referred to the sending of the suspicious packages as "political violence".
Walt In Seattlle
2018-10-27 00:29:30 UTC
Cesar Sayok has a criminal background that reportedly stretches back as far as 2002. So far as I know, he was not a political operative. But there's an important item of information relevant to this discussion topic of which all should take note. The vehicle taken away from the Autozone store where Sayok worked -- the van in which Sayok lived -- has political words/images/stickers on it. They strongly imply Sayok's political perspective and that he was a Trump enthusiast, if "enthusiast" is the appropriate descriptor. There apparently is a picture of Sayok at a Trump rally in 2017. It may be fair to say that, even if Sayok was a "nutcase" acting on his own warped perceptions, there's room at this stage to suspect Sayok was INSPIRED by Donald Trump. That's not to say Donald Trump told him to send bombs or bomb-like items to prominent Democrats. But what President Trump must own and substantively change is his inflammatory rhetoric. Trump seemingly has been proud that there is often no filter placed on what he says -- no filter applied by himself or anyone else. Yet, there are consequences that arise from unrestrained political speech. Sayok's "terrorizing acts" -- President Trump's words -- are, if Sayok is indeed the person sending suspicious packages, apparently what President Trump must own in terms of cause and effect. Of course, President Trump may respond to say "it's not fair for me to edit my words for fear of how a nutcase might interpret them". However, what President Trump must realize is that most RESPONSIBLE politicians do exactly that and do it to avoid not just news media criticism but a scenario that may have played out as per Sayok's alleged acts.

There's no argument from me that both Democrats and Republicans have gone off the deep end with their rhetoric. Accordingly, I was quite disappointed when Hillary Clinton made her infamous "civility" comment, as in civility can wait until AFTER the mid-term elections, and Eric Holders kick them when they are down advice. That's no more responsible political rhetoric than Trump's!! But Trump has been off the rails, out of control for a long time and arguably well before he was elected President.

It's time President Trump owned it all. Will he? I'm skeptical he'll try.

The larger problem implied in all of this connects more solidly to President Trump than either Democrats or Republicans. To begin with, Trump, if you analyze his actions carefully, is NOT a genuine Republican. He only PRETENDS to be because he sees the pretense as essential to his success as President. He has developed or cultivated a base of support who are not so interested in longstanding Republican or Democratic philosophy as much as pure Trumpism. And Trumpism seems to be modeled after McCarthyism, as in Joe McCarthy's style of demagoguery implementing the politics of fear.

For McCarthy, it was communists to fear. For Trump, it's xenophobia on steroids focusing first on an entire religion that's "out to get us" and now on immigrants in rhetoric which is tainted with fallacious racial or ethnic assumptions President Trump supports with outright lies. (i.e. people from S-HOLE coutries, raping Mexicans, immigrant hoardes rife with criminal elements or at least MS-13 and so on) Thus, in Trump's rhetoric, refugees coming to APPLY FOR ASYLUM in a LEGAL process are cast as "illegal immigrants". Most recently, Trumpism has openly declared that the process of applying for asylym should become far more difficult so as to discourage refugees -- a policy which runs agains the grain of how refugees have been treated for decades, even going back to the Cuban boatlift days. It also contradicts that for which Emma Lazarus stood along with her words inscribed on the Statue of Liberty.

Until America came to the realization, mostly promulgated by the Army McCarthy hearings in Congress and McCarthy's fight with CBS's Edward R. Murrow, that McCarthy was manipuating America for his political gain and at the expense of a lot of innocent victims, McCarthy was riding high. He was seen as the American patriot fighting the good fight against communism. I'm not sure what it will take for people to see Trump as what he is or if it will happen before the America long considered the best we can be collapses and/or is converted into something more compatible with Trumpism.

Whatever the outcome, it's clear that Trumpism is having its impact. It's nearly palpable and, while not the same as government-aided or Goebbels-hyped influence on the public, it presents its own threat for fundamentally changing what America is as well as what many highly value in what constitutes America.

What happened in the wake of Crystal Night throughout Germany, McCarthyism in the 1950s and Trumpism now is demonization and presenting something to fear as the means to energize a political agenda or cultural alterations. Each was or is sinister in its own right or "wrong", if you will.

I understand that both McCarthy and Trump may have believed or, in Trump's case, believe they're doing the right thing. I also understand that Hitler was probably insane and that it might be fair to assume McCarthy's sanity was in question. But the bottom line is that they are or were not right.

With the above in mind, it should be remembered that Donald Trump argues the Congressional mid-terms are about the man not on any ballot -- himself, Donald Trump. According to USA Today and Suffolk University, Trump may be right. ***See https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2018/10/25/poll-midterm-elections-donald-trump-democrats/1742432002/ Ergo, there are three events in Donald Trump's history I'd hope all would recall, especially in the runup to the Congressional mid-terms and later when 2020 rolls around. They encapsulate the Donald Trump we should not have elected President in 2016.

1. Donald Trump claims he is or has been a successful businessman and would likely deny that there has ever been a lapse in ethics or instances of fraud in what he has done. But the Trump University case seems to contradict that narrative.

Trump's organization may have taken improper advantage of people, receiving funds from such people which would leave many in dire straits. Former employees testified that Trump University was, in essence, a fraudulent operation.

The case was under litigation at the time President Trump was campaigning for the presidency. But the process was halted after Donald Trump won the 2016 election for President and settled with thousands of Trump University students for a payout of $25 Million. Thus, the details of what may have happened could not be discovered or are now sealed.

Donald Trump possibly knew those details would be damning and did not want to risk a judgment against him while President of the United States. That we don't know the details, and don't have access to them, should be no reason to assume Donald Trump was not aware and should not have been found responsible for mounting as well as furthering a FRAUD! If he indeed was aware and complicit or in command, and if people were defrauded by Trump's organization, Trump is not fit to be President.

Notably, and in context to the Trump University case, Donald Trump made his most outrageous racist statements relating, at that time, to federal District Court Judge Gonzalo Curiel. Even top Republicans, some who had been staunch Trump supporters, broke with Trump on his comments as to Curiel. Note information posted below then decide if that sort of activity should justifiably be accepted or tolerated in a candicate for President and should be dismissed in order to vote him into office.

2. Although, most recently, Donald Trump has FALSELY claimed Hillary Clinton was responsible for starting it, Donald Trump was the true instigator of the Birther Hoax -- the conspiracy theory that President Obama was not born in the United States and therefore was not a U.S. citizen. Even when Donald Trump finally conceded President Obama was born in the U.S., he boasted that he "finished" what he FALSELY claimed Hillary Clinton started, as if what he did was right and good.

The plain and simple truth is that what Trump did was neither right or good. Someone who would do what he did should not have been elected President. We Americans wear the SHAME of electing Trump in full knowledge of his actions in this regard!

3. In 2005, Donald Trump was caught on tape boasting of what he could do or might even want to do, as a famous and powerful man, with women. What he described he could do and get away with it because of what and who he was, comes down to sexual assault.

In 2016, the tape was revealed to the public and Trump responded. He asserted the Donald Trump of 2016 was not the person on that tape, meaning he had changed over time. But more recently, Trump has been reported to question the tape, as if to say that's not him on the tape and/or that the tape was somehow altered. Yet, in 2016, we all knew quite a lot of information about Donald Trump's history with women -- how he treated them and what he thinks of them.

We elected a man with little respect for an entire gender. THAT was a monumental MISTAKE!

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/trump-university-staffers-describe-fraudulent-scheme-new-court-documents-n584071
[...] "Based upon my personal experience and employment, I believe that Trump University was a fraudulent scheme, and that it preyed upon the elderly and uneducated to separate them from their money," Ronald Schnackenberg, a Trump University sales manager from 2006-2007, said in his [court] testimony [released in mid-2016]. [...] Jason Nicholas, a sales executive at the university from May through October of 2007, said he felt the courses “did not provide a legitimate real-estate education” and Trump University was "just selling false hopes and lies." [...]

Donald Trump's comments on judge Curiel being too biased to preside over the Trump University litigation because he is Mexican or of Mexican heritage:

At a public event: "But I have a judge who is a hater of Donald Trump.. A hater. He's a hater. His name is Gonzalo Curiel . . ." Donald Trump told the Wall Street Journal Curieil's Mexican heritage is an "absolute conflict". Trump also stated "I'm building a wall. It's an inherent conflict of interest".

https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-keeps-up-attacks-on-judge-gonzalo-curiel-1464911442

Paul Ryan on the "definition of racism", i.e. Trump's words linked and quoted above:

From a separate telephone interview of Paul Ryan:

"Look.. The comment about the judge the other day just was out of left field from my mind. It's reasoning I don't relate to. I completely disagree with the thinking behind that."

Trump criticized by top Republicans for those words and more:

Donald Trump attempting to justify those words:

Interview of Donald Trump by Wolf Blitzer in 2012 regarding the Birther Hoax:

Donald Trump concedes Obama's American citizenship but does so only while accusing Hillary Clinton of starting the Birther Hoax

Patti Solis Doyle, former 2008 campaign manager for Hillary Clinton, corrects the record on Trump's assertion Hillary Clinton started the Birther Hoax

The Access Hollywood Tape

Donald Trump appearing on Howard Stern's show:

Walt In Seattlle
2018-10-27 01:26:14 UTC
At the link below and available as video which you should be able to play in most modern web browsers (if it does not automatically play when you go to the link below) is a clip from an interview on the CNN Erin Burnett "Out Front" program that aired this afternoon at 4:00 PM PDT. It provides some insight into Sayok. I recommend finding the full interview when it is available on video.

It seems Sayok was a white supremacist. White Nationalists and supremacists are a part of President Trump's demographic, even though President Trump denies being a racist or having any affinity for white supremacists. However, President Trump has embraced the term "nationalism" and called himself a "nationalist". In identity politics, "nationalist" and "nationalism" are considred as synonymous with supremacists who call themselves "white nationalists". To this President Trump should pay close attention if he is not already aware. Yet, is he rally unaware?

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/10/26/general-manager-suspect-sayoc-gureghian-sot-ebof-vpx.cnn
Walt In Seattlle
2018-10-27 03:01:10 UTC
Corection: The person alleged to have sent pipe bombs to prominent Democrats is Cesar Sayoc, not Cesar Sayok.
Walt In Seattlle
2018-10-27 03:30:56 UTC
In North Carolina, President Trump once more embraced his status as a "nationalist" and assigned blame on the news media for what he described as lack of honesty in reporting. The crowd chanted "CNN sucks" and President Trump looked on without issuing rebuke. When mentioning Democrats, the crowd chanted "Lock her up!"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-rally-north-carolina-today-live-stream-package-bomb-suspect-arrested-2018-10-26/
Walt In Seattlle
2018-10-27 17:50:27 UTC
President Trump speaks of the "hostility" of the news media. It should be noted that it at least seems "hostility", from Trump's perxpective, is anything that does not praise him or that exposes his propagandistic distortion or lies.
Walt In Seattlle
2018-10-29 19:07:49 UTC
The news media is the "true enemy of the people", Mr. President, unless they, of course, follow the example set by FoxNews? The press must praise everything you do and say, not EVER challenge or document your lies? Your rhetoric is dangerous and irresponsible. We've seen the cues taken or interpretation made from your rhetoric by Cesar Sayoc and Robert Bowers. They looked to *YOU*, Mr. President! You demonize and such people as Bowers and Sayoc derive validation for their hate FROM *YOUR* WORDS -- Sayoc who followed you closely and Bowers who sees as your only flaw that you're not racist ENOUGH!

The words "enemy of the people" have strong meaning. An enemy of the people is someone, some group or some institution if not a nation which represents a grave threat to the people. Individuals such as Bowers and Sayoc are likely to react to your tweets cited and quoted below. It's entirely logical to expect their reaction is probable. If they do and members of the press are killed or injured by those drawing inspiration from your words, you should be impeached and convicted!!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1056879122348195841 and https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1056880287974649856
[President Donald J. Trump on 10-29-2018 at 5:03 AM PDT and 5:07 AM PDT] There is great anger in our Country caused in part by inaccurate, and even fraudulent, reporting of the news. The Fake News Media, the true Enemy of the People, must stop the open & obvious hostility & report the news accurately & fairly. That will do much to put out the flame of Anger and Outrage and we will then be able to bring all sides together in Peace and Harmony. Fake News Must End!
Walt In Seattlle
2018-10-31 12:05:49 UTC
On October 29, 2018, President Trump tweeted that "CNN and others in the Fake News Business keep purposely and inaccurately reporting that I said the `Media is the Enemy of the People.'" President Trump went on to argue the assertion he attributes to CNN and others is "wrong!" Accordingly, President Trump notes "the `Fake News (Media) is the Enemy of the People.'" President Trump also suggested: "Check out tweets from last two days" where he contends he refers to "Fake News Media" when "mentioning Enemy of the People". In that time, President Trump has indeed referenced the "fake news media". However, the past several days of President Trump's tweets do NOT present President Trump's assessment of what constitutes the "fake news media" -- the full list of organizations or media outlets that comprise it and the extent of its proportion in the general "media". To understand President Trump's meaning or implication(s), you have to go baack into the past Summer and read tweets from late July and early August. I've cited and quoted them below the text of my response to President Trump's tweets of 10-29-2018 which are also cited and quoted below. To see my response back on August 3rd, go here: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/talk.politics.misc/pApWIG0Df4M/C9n_1owvCwAJ

The bottom line is that President Trump asserts, or at least asserted back in August, a "large percentage" of the total "meadia" is "fake news" and therefore "is the enemy of the people". ***See: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1025115155632455680 President Trump has additionally complained "90% of media coverage of my Administration is negative". ***See the series of tweets beginning at: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1023646663590797312

President Trump threatened, back in July, he "will not allow our great country to be sold out by anti-Trump haters in the dying newspaper industry" without specifying what he shall do. ***See previous link... He has additionally warned: "When the media - driven insane by their Trump Derangement Syndrome - reveals internal deliberations of our government, it truly puts the lives of many, not just journalists, at risk" but has not indicated the "risk" to journalists. From my perch, I saw this as ominous and chilling back in July. President Trump's more recent words only enhance the chill.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1057059603605831680
[Presidnet Donald J. Trump on 10-29-2018 at 5:00 PM PDT] CNN and others in the Fake News Business keep purposely and inaccurately reporting that I said the "Media is the Enemy of the People." Wrong! I said that the "Fake News (Media) is the Enemy of the People," a very big difference. When you give out false information - not good!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1057063101189836801
[Presidnet Donald J. Trump on 10-29-2018 at 5:14 PM PDT] Check out tweets from last two days. I refer to Fake News Media when mentioning Enemy of the People - but dishonest reporters use only the word "Media." The people of our Great Country are angry and disillusioned at receiving so much Fake News. They get it, and fully understand!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1025115155632455680
[President Donald J. Trump on 8-2-2018 at 1:24 PM PDT] They asked my daughter Ivanka whether or not the media is the enemy of the people. She correctly said no. It is the FAKE NEWS, which is a large percentage of the media, that is the enemy of the people!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1023646663590797312
[President Donald J. Trump on 07-29-2018 in a series of tweets beginning at 12:09 PM PDT[] When the media - driven insane by their Trump Derangement Syndrome - reveals internal deliberations of our government, it truly puts the lives of many, not just journalists, at risk! Very unpatriotic! Freedom of the press also comes with a responsibility to report the news accurately. 90% of media coverage of my Administration is negative, despite the tremendously positive results we are achieving, it’s no surprise that confidence in the media is at an all time low! I will not allow our great country to be sold out by anti-Trump haters in the dying newspaper industry. No matter how much they try to distract and cover it up, our country is making great progress under my leadership and I will never stop fighting for the American people! As an example, the failing New York Times and the Amazon Washington Post do nothing but write bad stories even on very positive achievements - and they will never change!
a425couple
2018-10-25 16:07:03 UTC
Post by Walt In Seattlle
What has happened over the past several days, but particularly this morning, heralds a deeply foreboding trend not too different from the trend building in NAZI Germany before and after KristalNacht -- the night of broken glass.
You are going loony tunes if you think the last weeks
individual or small group mailing of explosives,
is anywhere near on the same wave length as the
organized wide spread violent activities of Kristalnacht.
Walt In Seattlle