The Consumption Bubble That Some Day Will Burst
Add Reply
Walt In Seattlle
2018-11-18 20:56:58 UTC
What has made Seattle so attractive to people who aren't already here, along with those who are, is the large scale consumption trio of Amazon, Microsoft and Boeing. While Microsoft is perhaps more important to cities/municipalities East of 520, they all feed Seattle's economy to the extent that, without them or similar replacements, we'd experience a sudden local economic collapse. Even with them but in a much diminished condition, Seattle would be in dire straits!

Whether you realize it or not, we are in an economic bubble and bubbles always burst. We're riding high. Yet, the higher we fly, the harder we will eventually fall, and the fall will come as a result of an erroneous assumption that we have to chase then achieve an ever-increasing level of consumption, like a dog chases his tail, to maintain a healthy economy as well as a comfortable life. In the long term, this is both unrealistic and the extremely vulnerable underbelly of capitalism. Consumers are considered to be the little engines that always could, that always have and that always will. But those engines will soon enough meet reality or the limits of their consumption capacity. We'll ALL find that chasing our economic tail is chasing ourselves into BIG TROUBLE!

The purpose of this post is not to warn we should not consume at all but we should be wary of as well as avoid OVER-consumption. In so many instances of context, gluttony is the way of woe! As a society, that's where we're headed.

We don't need the latest and greatest smartphone, HD-TV, car or freshly constructed palace as our home just a heartbeat in time after we purchased our last smartphone, HD-TV, car or home. In almost all things, moderation is our best course. Unfortunately, we're now so addicted to an economic model for gluttony that achieving moderation would bring economic pain. I'm not sure it's possible to attain moderation now. In fact, I'm skeptical. But, if we don't, we face the same sort of outcome as anyone who is hopelessly addicted to something they eventually over-consume until it kills them. Remember.. there's the concept of even a "good thing" being too much in ever-increasing quantities.

The most alarming aspect of over-consumption is that it indeed COULD kill us off! It's impossible to maintain the current American economic consumption model AND attempt to mitigate climate change. We simply can't continue to produce more and more, recycle or hand down too little of what is produced then purchased, throw away more and more, use more and more energy to do almost everything we do while producing more and more carbon existing in our environment to great excess and hope to have a ghost of a chance to avoid extinction. To so avoid will require a DRASTiC change in lifestyle Worldwide. But again, I'm skeptical we'll get there, mostly because we're like addicts who can't rationally evaluate our circumstances then determine what's ultimately best for us. And so it goes..... And so we'll die... yet in a slow and agonizing way!
Walt In Seattlle
2018-11-26 02:49:39 UTC
Post by Walt In Seattlle
[...]
Even now, is the party almost over? Homelessness is on the rise; we're self-medicating discontent with our lives in ever-increeasding nujmbers; the cohort of democracy that has arrived in concert with capitalism where it has successfully developed (i.e. Taiwan) is not so prevalent or necesary for growing consumption; (i.e. China) trade conflicts now bring us to the edge of global recession or worse. The negative impacts of climate change are now noticeable. Our future therefore is..... (???)