COVID-19 And The Flu Coming In the Fall....
Add Reply
Walt In Seattle
2020-07-15 19:13:57 UTC
I'm suggesting that everyone should prepare for a terrible Fall and Winter. It might not happen but no one knows what, exactly, will happen. As the saying goes, "better safe than sorry". If the worst case scenarios do not occur, you'll at least have learned how to prepare for the NEXT pandemic at an unprecedented scale of which COVID-19 is probably just the beginning.

In preparing for the worst, you should expect a well-defined second wave, NOT a new peak in the current wave. Brace yourself for the possibility this second wave could be as bad as or worse than the Fall, 1918 second wave of the so-called "Spanish Flu". Do the research for yourself to see how bad it was in the Fall of 1918.

We should hope for a Flu vaccine that is as effective as it ever has been or more so. Yet, in any case, you must be vaccinated if you want a better chance of survival or to avoid critical illness. Even if its effectiveness is minimal, such protection will be better than none at all! Make getting your Flu vaccination a HIGH priority this Fall. That effort is important because you'll want to avoid, if at all possible, a scenario where you are infected with both COVID-19 and the Flu or a scenario where one weakens your body's defenses, making it easier for infection to occur from the other while that infection would have much greater consequences because your body is less prepared to defend itself.

Do what you can to enhance yur immune system. This will include getting enough sleep, plenty of vigorous exercise and eating nutritious food in appropriate portions with proper frequency.

Before the Fall, ensure, as best you can,that you'll have uninterrupted access to your prescription medications. Obtaining them may become difficult during the worst of the second wave.

Prepare yourself and your family for a prolonged period of physical isolation that could extend through the Fall, Winter and perhaps into next Spring. There will be psychological impact, particularly for children.

If you're working or just back to work, set aside as much of your income as you can for life in the second wave. In a worst case scenario, businesses will be closing or dropping like flies, not jsut because of stay-at-home orders but also owing in large measure to the likely outcome that too many employees will not be healthy enough to work and customers will be staying away in droves. This, where or if it happens, will be a gut-punch to the economy far worse than what happened starting a few months ago.

Begin stockpiling now the things you know you'll need next Fall and Winter. In a worst case scenario, there will be shortages or availability of some things for the general public will simply stop.

If you have your own home garden where you harvest fruit and vegetables, can/freeze as much of it as you can for later. Expect that, as we get into the Fall, produce will become prohibitively expensive. High demand combined with diminished supply will bring this outcome. A part of the problem will be that fewer people can safely participate in the process of harvesting at any given point in time. Seasonal field workers will inevitably get sick.

As careful as you are to wear a mask in public or practice social distancing as well as handwashing, you must redouble your effort. Cleaning surfaces will be more improtant because you'll be defending against COVID-19 *AND* the Flu.

Finally, you need a comprehensive plan or several plans for emergencies such as (a) household member(s) becoming sick followed by sequestration, (b) need for an ER visit, (c) where to go or how to survive in the event of a strong Winter storm or significant earthquake and particularly if someone or some people in your household are sick while staying at home simply won't be safe and (d) what happens when someone dies.... For (d) and to be frank, for older people or those who are at great or greater risk for life-threatening consequences if infected by COVID-19, it's a good idea to get your affairs in order then create a will.

There's more to do. However, these things are among those which are important, I believe.
Al Czervik
2020-07-16 06:53:41 UTC
Post by Walt In Seattle
I'm suggesting that everyone should prepare for a terrible Fall and Winter. It might not happen but no one knows what, exactly, will happen. As the saying goes, "better safe than sorry". If the worst case scenarios do not occur, you'll at least have learned how to prepare for the NEXT pandemic at an unprecedented scale of which COVID-19 is probably just the beginning.
In preparing for the worst, you should expect a well-defined second wave, NOT a new peak in the current wave. Brace yourself for the possibility this second wave could be as bad as or worse than the Fall, 1918 second wave of the so-called "Spanish Flu". Do the research for yourself to see how bad it was in the Fall of 1918.
We will be wearing masks through the next flu season. If masks work then
what is the problem? If they don't work, why are we wearing them?

We are headed for a bigger crisis if the healthy don't take off the
masks now.
https://www.avg.com
Walt In Seattle
2020-07-16 14:15:09 UTC
As always, Al, you're welcome to your delusion(s).
Al Czervik
2020-07-16 16:43:45 UTC
Post by Walt In Seattle
As always, Al, you're welcome to your delusion(s).
Good grief. I was kind of agreeing with you. I just threw in that there
is sufficient efficacy in wearing masks and that whether it covid of the
flu or another respiratory disease we are kicking the can down the road
and when we take the masks off the chickens will come home to roost.
Walt In Seattle
2020-07-16 19:49:51 UTC
I have a suggestion for you, Al. Go have a chat with Doctors Anthony Fauci, Deborah Birx, Stephen Hahn, Michael Osterholm and others about the pros and cons of public mask wearing in context to COVID-19. Better yet, conduct an extensive survey of medical professionals specializing in or dealing with infections diseases. Determine their point of view, crunch the numbers and get back to us. I'll be looking forward to your in-depth report... :-)
Al Czervik
2020-07-16 22:00:43 UTC
I'd love to. They don't want to, obviously.
Walt In Seattle
2020-07-31 15:16:56 UTC
I'm reiterating my recommendations posted back on the 15th at https://groups.google.com/d/msg/seattle.politics/R_mMhiGHmvo/ZY-Nha6FBgAJ ... They become more important with each passing day and reinforced implications we probably will not get a Summer break from COVID-19.