Regarding fires in CA,
Add Reply
a425couple
2018-11-21 22:52:31 UTC
Steve Chafin
November 11 at 5:08 AM

Regarding fires in CA,
In 2006, When Bush 43 was president there was $20 billion allocated to
forest fuels reduction in the western national forests passed by
Congress and the president. That is removing dead wood that would be
fuel in a fire and thinning the forest.
I set up a plan to do this work and thought it was going to take me to
retirement.

My company was doing this work across the west until Obama ended the
program and diverted the funding to "shovel ready" projects in urban
areas to reward the people that voted for him. So the last of the
thinning we did for the USFS was in 2009.

California resisted doing any thinning because they thought forests
should be preserved and not managed.

Now they blame global warming for the fires.

And when I was a graduate student in environmental science at Indiana
University, I thought I was going to study global climate change, until
we had professors manipulating climate data (removing cold data points)
so it would show there was warming. Otherwise, the raw data showed no
warming trends.
When science turned into politics. I was disillusioned and quit working
on global Climate change.

Furthermore, in 2007, I was working on a thinning project in the 4
Corners region. Some of you may recall President Bush 43 had an
initiative to convert biofuels to energy (how many times did he say
switchgrass?). The US Forest Service had a biofuels to energy grant
program administered through an office in Wisconsin. I worked with that
office (which wasn't easy because they would barely return a phone call)
to line up funding to install a small pilot project wood to energy steam
boiler on the Southern Ute Reservation of Ignacio Colorado. There
was/still is, enough dead biomass from beetle kill, laying all over the
Rocky Mountains to supply energy to the western US for a long time (coal
is presently used in the southern Rockies, hydroelectric and coal in the
northern Rockies).

The EPA would not give me a permit due to air quality. The wood boiler
had a scrubber system on the stack, and would have no more emissions
than a coal fired plant.

So, in dealing with the EPA, I asked them if they would rather all of
that would burn in a wildfire uncontrolled, destroying forests and
destroying air quality, or if it would be more virtuous to burn it to
create energy in a confined system so the emissions are treated. They
told me they could not regulate Wildfire but they could regulate wood to
energy. So bottom line is they don't really care about air quality if
it's from a wildfire. And they did not do their part to help control
wildfire by blocking a beneficial reuse of the Dead wood.

The plan makes too much sense. But the EPA didn't care. And most people
know how bad the smoke gets in a wildfire.
a425couple
2018-11-22 00:32:41 UTC
Post by a425couple
[...]
And a follow-up from Steve,

Steve Chafin In addition, I traveled to the Lake Tahoe area 3 different
times to work up ecological restoration projects there as $500 million
was budgeted to do restoration in the Lake Tahoe Basin. The most $/acre
allocated of anywhere in the country. So I thought I should expand our
business into the Tahoe region. I dumped $15,000 into precontract
marketing into Lake Tahoe.

I was with US Forest Service personnel one day and asked how the Tahoe
Basin got so much funding. He said, well, Nancy Pelosi, Dianne
Feinstein, Barbara Boxer, and Henry Waxman all have summer houses on
Lake Tahoe (those houses are all worth north of 10 million).

But the regulatory morass on labor laws was requiring me to team up with
a local contractor. So I selected Al Pombo as he was smart and had an
abundance of equipment resources. So we relentlessly bid on projects and
met with contracting officers. And we are not getting any projects. They
were going to yayhoos with very little experience and with illegal work
crews.
One day Al and I were in a meeting with the head honchos of the Tahoe
Basin Forest Service and they asked Al " are you related to Richard
Pombo?" (A Republican representative District 11 from northern
Califirnia). Al said yes He's my brother.

Well a murmer went through the government agents, some laughed out loud
at us, and most got up and left the room.

I then figured out why we had not, and were not, going to be selected to
do any work in the Tahoe Basin. Al's brother was a Republican.