Of Crudeness and Truth,Thoughts on President Trump’s -- shithole
a425couple
2018-01-19 23:27:11 UTC
EYE ON THE NEWS
Of Crudeness and Truth
Thoughts on President Trump’s latest verbal tempest

Andrew Klavan
January 12, 2018 Politics and law
Nothing scandalizes a leftist like the truth. Point out that women and
men are different, that black Americans commit a disproportionate amount
of violent crime, that most terrorist acts are committed by Muslims, and
the Left leaps to its collective feet in openmouthed shock, like
Margaret Dumont after a Groucho Marx wisecrack. This is racism! This is
sexism! This is some sort of phobia! I’m shocked, shocked to find facts
being spoken in polite company!

No one is really shocked, of course. This is simply a form of bullying.
The Left has co-opted our good manners and our good will in order to
silence our opposition to their bad policies. The idea is to make it
seem impolite and immoral to mention the obvious.

The bullying is highly effective and very dangerous. In England, in the
city of Rotherham, at least 1,400 non-Muslim girls, some as young as 11,
were brutally raped by Muslim immigrants over a period of years in the
2000s. Police and other officials worked to keep the facts hidden
because, according to multiple reports, they were afraid of being called
racist. Think about that: police officers did not want to seem racist,
so they stood by and let their city’s children be raped. The same thing
goes on in other cities in England and throughout Europe. And in fact,
some who have spoken out have had their careers curtailed by
manufactured scandal. The message is clear: it’s just not nice to tell
the truth. It’s just not done. Don’t do it.

Here in the states, the First Amendment has so far allowed old-fashioned
American loudmouths to fight the system whenever they could find ways
around our monolithic corporate media. But the Empire of Lies is quick
to strike back. Google/YouTube now stands charged by multiple accusers
of singling out conservative voices for censorship, “fact-checking,” and
demonetization. Hidden-camera videos released by Project Veritas this
week show Twitter employees conspiring to “shadow ban” conservatives on
their system. On campus, intelligent conservative speakers of good will
like Ben Shapiro, Charles Murray, and Christina Hoff-Sommers have faced
violent protests meant to shut them up.

No person of importance on the right seeks to silence anyone on the
left. The Left, on the other hand, is broadly committed to ostracizing,
blacklisting, and even criminalizing right-wing speech.

Enter President Donald Trump. He is a rude and crude person. He speaks
like a Queens real estate guy on a construction site. And because he
does not have good manners, he thoughtlessly breaks the rules with which
the Left has sought to muzzle those who disagree with them. In this
regard, I frequently compare Trump to Randle Patrick McMurphy, the
loudmouthed, ill-mannered roustabout from Ken Kesey’s brilliant novel
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. McMurphy comes into an insane asylum
controlled by a pleasant, smiling nightmare of a head nurse named
Ratched. Nurse Ratched, while pretending to be the soul of motherly
care, is actually a castrating, silencing tyrant. Her rules of good
manners, supposedly fashioned for the benefit of all, are really a
system of mental slavery. All of McMurphy’s salient character flaws
suddenly become heroic in the context of her oppression. Only his
belligerent ignorance of what constitutes good behavior can overturn the
velvet strangulation of her rule.

For Nurse Ratched, read Hillary Clinton, CNN, the New York Times, Yale
University, Twitter, and Google/YouTube—all the tender ministers of
polite silence and enforced dishonesty. If Donald Trump’s boorishness
crashes like a bull through the crystal madhouse of their leftism—well,
good. It’s about time.

I don’t know exactly what Trump said in a closed-door meeting with
senators at the White House this week. Unnamed sources say that he
referred to some African countries and Haiti as “shitholes.” Maybe so;
sounds like him. In any case, when it comes to a chance to attack Trump,
our journalists don’t waste time with fact-gathering or
source-identifying. Like Madonna, they just strike a pose. Various media
knuckleheads have reacted to the alleged comment by calling Trump
“racist,” “Nazi,” “Evil,” and a “terrorist sympathizer.”

(Personally, my first thought on hearing about the remark was: “What
squirrely little tattle-tale of a weasel went running to the press with
that?” But never mind. That’s just me.)

Let’s state the obvious. Some countries are shitholes. To claim that
this is racist is racist. They are not shitholes because of the color of
the populace but because of bad ideas, corrupt governance, false
religion, and broken culture. Further, most of the problems in these
countries are generated at the top. Plenty of rank-and-file immigrants
from such ruined venues ultimately make good Americans—witness those who
came from 1840s potato-famine Ireland, a shithole if ever there was one!
It takes caution and skill to separate the good from the bad.

For these very reasons, absurd immigration procedures like chain
migration, lotteries, and unvetted entries are deeply destructive. They
can lead to the sort of poor choices that create a Rotherham. Trump’s
suggestions—to vet immigrants for pro-American ideas and skills that
will help our country—are smart and reasonable and would clearly make
the system better if implemented.

So, when it comes to the Great Shithole Controversy of 2018, my feeling
is: I do not care, not even a little. I’m sorry that it takes someone
like Trump to break the spell of silence the Left is forever weaving
around us. I wish a man like Ronald Reagan would come along and
accomplish the same thing with more wit and grace. But that was another
culture. History deals the cards it deals; we just play them. Trump is
what we’ve got.

For all the bad language, for all the loose talk, I would rather hear a
man speak as a man without fear of the Nurse Ratcheds in the press and
the academy than have him neutered and gagged by a system of good
manners that has been misused as a form of oppression. Better
impoliteness than silence. Better crudeness than lies.

We have seen the effect of uncontrolled immigration on Europe. It is
very, very bad. The fact is: some countries are shitholes. I don’t want
this to become one of them.

Andrew Klavan is a novelist and City Journal contributing editor. His
podcast is featured Monday through Thursday at the DailyWire.com.
Photo by Pool/Getty Images

https://www.city-journal.org/html/crudeness-and-truth-15668.html
a425couple
2018-01-20 00:27:51 UTC
Post by a425couple
[...]
comments include:
.b. Schmidt · Works at Self employed
Trump certainly could have phrased his criticism of those countries in a
more presidential way, but the facts are the facts -- and he's
absolutely correct, even if he's not particularly classy.
As for the "blue" language: It's no big deal; compare his language to
those of LBJ, JFK, Truman, Nixon and, of course, the Champion
Outhouse-Language Pair: Bill and Hillary Clinton.
Politics is no business for nice guys; and the truth, no matter how it's
stated, is the truth.
Like · Reply · 469 · 1w

Daniel Morman
He spoke behind closed doors, and denies saying it. The media reported
this by attirbuting the story to "unamed sources." The media repeatedly
lies.
Like · Reply · 349 · 6d

Cynthia Curran · Golden West College
Hey, the left whined about George W Bush who was always the other
extreme on minorities, They even called George W Bush a racist. Trump
just doesn't have a chance with the left. Also, politics is changing
Joel Konkin wrote about the further growth in tech in the south. This is
why you are seeing the south go from red to purplish. Tech growing in
Charotte and Orlando does not help Republicans since most of the tech
industry is on the left when it comes to immigration just like Jeff
Bezos. This is why Trump needs to be more sucessful in midwest states
like Ohio and maybe make inroads into heavy blue states like CT.
Like · Reply · 82 · 6d

Elaine Crowder
Don’t forget the Vice President Joe Biden calling the passage of
obamacare “a fu..ing big deal” on live television. The left laughed
hilariously at his ignorance.
Like · Reply · 235 · 6d
Show 10 more replies in this thread

Caroline Plasencia · Los Angeles, California
I am always so relieved with your perspective. It is insightful and spot
on. I used to see ads for your show and I was afraid to listen for fear
of keeping company with right wingers, aka the dark side - sorry. Your
voice is patience, kindness and reason and it relieves me of the anxiety
I feel when the media whips everyone up. Thank you!
Like · Reply · 217 · 1w

Dan Maloy
@ Caroline - Welcome to what we on the right call "reality".
Like · Reply · 127 · 6d

Jim Carpenter · Keeper of the Keys at Korthals Griffon Breeders Alliance
Dan Maloy , yes. Welcome to what Barrack Obama calls "another planet".
Like · Reply · 94 · 6d

J.b. Schmidt · Works at Self employed
Jim Carpenter Or, at the very least to Obama, another country given that
he's tried for all these years to turn our nation into another Third
World . . . what's that term? Oh, yes: Shithole.
Like · Reply · 108 · 6d
Show 9 more replies in this thread

Michael Irwin
If you don't want our country to become a "shithole," you should resist
Trump and all he represents. If you don't, you'll live to regret it.
https://www.nytimes.com/.../trump-shithole-countries...
Like · Reply · 63 · 1w

Duane Hallman · Anchorage, Alaska
Yeah because the democrats have done so well a keeping our country from
turning into a shithole, #Detroit, #Flint, #Dearborn.
Like · Reply · 277 · 6d

Eric George
You’re going to need to probably see someone to work your way out of
Stage 3 of Grief. For God’s sake, it’s been well over a year. He’s not
likely to run again..so embrace the suck and enjoy the extra money
you’re going to have in your 401K and paycheck in a few weeks.
Or...#Resist it and write an extra check for $3000 to the US Treasury
next spring.
Like · Reply · 174 · 6d

Mike Van Nuland
LOL!
Like · Reply · 14 · 6d
Show 10 more replies in this thread

Claudia Brown
It’s Rotherham — no d.

Otherwise, flawless.
Like · Reply · 13 · 1w

Scott Blaha · Works at Retired
Regardless of spelling, it's still RAPE (no D), and the Brits don't seem
too upset about it, because word doesn't get out (because calling a
spade a spade would be "racist"). So much for all the high-minded talk
about how we Brits are so much more "proper" than those colonials.
People may not be getting shot as much on a per capita basis in Britain,
but in the EU & Britain, I'd rather take my chance (and my family's) in
the US. The Daily Mail is more interested in who is wearing what to
where than public policy at home.
Like · Reply · 50 · 5d

Richard McClellan · Winemaker at Highland Hills Winery
Scott Blaha : don't commit suicide and stay away from gang bangers and
your chances if getting shot in the US is about the same as in the UK.
Like · Reply · 23 · 5d

Lawrence L Benoit
Richard McClellan, that is true but why are 15,000 people killing
themselves in America and why are gangs so prevalent in this wonderful
society? Can't always write off the outliers or categories to make the
real picture look good. But I hear you...
Like · Reply · 4 · 5d

Tari Bergquist
Richard McClellan tell that to people in Chicago…
Like · Reply · 1 · 5d

Henry Leeseberg · Took Business and Management through Standard Oil!
Tari Bergquist Tell it to the people of Chicago??? First off you can not
legislate Morality or integrity like the Democrats think they can! When
they them self are lacking! And they think everyone should be held to a
higher standard then they are!
Like · Reply · 3 · 5d

Craig Cook
Lawrence L Benoit Suicide and gangs are related to the drug culture.
Illegal immigration brings the drugs and gangs.
Like · Reply · 12 · 4d

Caroline Adams · Georgia Southwestern State University
Lawrence L Benoit The rise of gangs, thugs and welfare abusers is
attributable to democrats, totally. It is more expensive to work and try
to make a life for your family than to lay back and pull in the welfare
checks, have more kids for more money, or just take what you want with
force and fear. When the democrats abolished the draft for military, the
bullies had nowhere to go and nothing to do. Thank you so very da*n
much, left minded people.
Like · Reply · 1 · 4d

Michael Kennedy · Dartmouth College
Lawrence L Benoit Democrat economy, sort of like the 1930s.
Like · Reply · 1 · 4d

Mark Whelan
Lawrence L Benoit 15,000 out of 330,000,000 plus...Suicide rates are
high among soldiers who have seen combat, which the US has millions more
than say the UK. I also noticed that while euthansia or assisted suicide
is illegal in the UK, Zurich has a booming industry in tourist
euthansia...so well known that 'Taking a trip to Switzerland" is a
euphemism for assisted suicide...There are several cities in the US that
have extremely high rates of violence which dramatically skew the
numbers as well...Chicago for instance. Hundreds of people shot/injured
in a weekend and the Mayor Rahm Emmanuel con...See More
Like · Reply · 4 · 3d

Lawrence L Benoit
Some very ignorant ideas. Gangs aren't from democrats. Republicans are
the party of religion and Mark Whelan I cannot figure out what you
actually believe. I will tell you those who use terms like left, right,
liberal before every sentence are blinded by party politics. It's like
someone who begins a sentence with, I'm not a racist but...most of what
is spewed on this thread is weak and not supported by any historical
evidence. It takes so much more than choosing which party you want to
blindly join to fix this country.
Like · Reply · 2 · 3d

Pam Jean Nunley ·
Mark Whelan well said
Like · Reply · 3d

Paul Dixon · Works at Retired
Richard McClellan the chance of being shot here in the UK is much lower
than in the US.
Like · Reply · 3d

Charlie Anton · Manager at Pirates's Cove Adventure Golf
Demonization demonetization?

Glenn Modracek · University of Iowa
Paul Dixon I'm not so sure that wouldn't be preferrable to being stabbed
or bludgeoned to death - like most of the homicides in the UK. In either
case, the major point is here in the USA, we have an obligation to be
our own first line of defense and to provide for our own safety (Warren
v District of Columbia - 444 A 2d, 1 (DC Appl. 1981), a fundamental
principle of American Law. We also enjoy the Natural, unalienable,
EXCLUSIVE Right to control our own lives and destinies as long as our
actions don't deny others THEIR Rights. I have made sure that I am ready
to provide the most efective defense I can, and I thank YOUR ancestors
for making us angry enough to demand and secure that Right for the
people, as well as MY ancestors for giving us the 2nd Amendment to carry
it out.
Like · Reply · 1 · 3d

Glenn Modracek · University of Iowa
Lawrence L Benoit Yes, Lawrence, "It takes so much more than choosing
which party you want to blindly join to fix this country." It takes a
basic understanding of the problems facing us. Mark Whelan has shown
that understanding. It lies in comments of others which you dismissively
characterize as "ignorant" while criticising them for clearly indicating
which side of the political spectrum has ideas that work. Politically
Left or Right has clear meaning to those who are informed ... AND aware
... of the difference between "feelings" in viewing a problem and the
thoughtful analysis that goes int...See More
Like · Reply · 2d

Lawrence L Benoit
I understand that most of what is in this thread is incorrect. It's
obvious that most are written from emotion as opposed to actual
research. Or the research is from news or articles with very little
solid research. It makes debates in which progress is made very
difficult. If you can't see the buried racism in many of these remarks
you are ignorant as well. The reason for gangs is not border control.
Gangs are not formed for political purpose. Prisons are full of
minority's by a disproportionate percentage not because they are born
with criminal DNA but rather more likely to have been raised in poor
families. Much of what Mark wrote is true but I can't tell what he
thinks should be done? I will never join a party and support issues I
don't believe in to help the group.
Like · Reply · 2d

Glenn Modracek · University of Iowa
Lawrence L Benoit Your latest post was considerably more clarifying than
your original offering. However, I tend to give more credit than you to
the average contributor on these posts given the quality of what is said
and the apparent knowledge behind their comments. What motivates most
people to respond in the first place is not their ability to provide
research on a subject, but rather their life experience and their
ability to reason their way to a conclusion. I submit that the
experiences one gains through living are the most costly and valuable
forms of research, but that in order to cor...See More
Like · Reply · 2 · 2d

Sherry Gee · Chico, California
Lawrence L Benoit Drugs, booze, weed and pills.
Like · Reply · 2d

Thomas Waters
Scott Blaha
Like · Reply · 2d

Thomas Waters
I agree with Scot, my country the U.K. is becomming a shithole with
immigreation, and Eastern Europeans people trafficing females for
prostitution, raping youg children and the police afraid to do anything
about it in case they are accused of being BLOODY RACIST, while the
police stand aside, this country of mine is afraid of being called
racist whenever there is a problem with foreigners, the government is
arfaid to do anything constructive always DEstructive, Trump is doing
what he promised, far more than we Europeans and because of it we are
becoming a shithole and thats FACT, Trump is putt...See More
Like · Reply · 1 · 2d

Thomas Waters
Scott Blaha
Like · Reply · 1d

Lawrence L Benoit
Sherry Gee, not all at once...
Like · Reply · 1d

Lawrence L Benoit
Thomas Waters no single race or belief owns this world.
Like · Reply · 1d
Show 2 more replies in this thread
Load 10 mo

David Diego Torres · University of Michigan
Spot on, good sir.
Like · Reply · 7 · 1w

Madonna C. Jones
(y) G­o­o­g­l­e p­a­y­s ­$­9­8­ p­e­r t­i­m­e u­n­i­t f­o­r d­o­i­n­g
b­e­s­t a­n­d e­a­s­y j­o­b f­r­o­m h­o­m­e.­ Am Earning $­70,000 s­o
Fa­r t­h­i­s y­e­a­r w­or­k­i­n­g 0­n­l­i­n­e. I­ a­m ­a­ f­u­l­l
t­i­m­e c­o­l­l­e­g­e s­t­u­d­e­n­t a­n­d j­u­s­t w­o­r­k­i­n­g f­o­r 3­
t­o ­4­ h­r­s ­a­ d­a­y. E­v­e­r­y­b­o­d­y m­u­s­t t­r­y t­h­i­s j­o­b
n­o­w b­y j­u­s­t u­s­e ­t­h­i­s ­l­i­n­k­.­.­.­.GOOD LUCK

HERE☛https://www.facebook.com/Nice-ts-160141901282129%2Fapp.../ ★
Reply · 3d

Donna Vadala Marshall · Wilmington, Delaware
PREACH!!
Like · Reply · 4 · 1w

Joe Loughran · Realtor at Long & Foster Real Estate
Bravo!
Like · Reply · 7 · 1w

Eric George
My great great grandparents left a shithole known as Germany to come
here. Thank God..and God Bless America. Learn the language. Get a
degree. Set yourself free.
Like · Reply · 37 · 6d

Faith Clendenen · East Andover, New Hampshire
Almost every country including all the ones in the West, were shitholes
at one time or another. East Germany and most of Eastern Europe during
the communist days, Scotland after the clearances and increasingly
today, Ireland as Andrew wrote, most of Africa today (when the RSA is as
good as it gets, it isn't doing too well.) Venezuela now, Argentina in
the very early 2000's, Cuba since 1959; countries with European
heritages are not exempt, except they seem to be able to pull themselves
out of that status eventually; a lot of places never have, and prospects
don't look too bright, because tribalism is so strong a motivation for
many people.
Reply · 1 · 6d

Darren McLaughlin
My first thought when I heard this was that there would probably be a
lot of residents of those places that would wholeheartedly agree that
yet they were s**tholes.
Reply · 1 · 5d

Rob Martin · Works at Retired and Loving It
Love the comparison to "One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest." President
Trump says things many of us believe, and he says those things the same
way some of us say them.
Like · Reply · 43 · 6d

Zeb Zobenica
As the grandson of Serbian immigrants who grew up in a hard-scrabble
mining town on northern Minnesota's Mesabi Iron Range, where cultural
diversity was a reality, not a theory, we could swear in a half-dozen
languages by the time we started kindergarten...
Like · Reply · 27 · 6d

Karyn Hardy Nondorf · Wildwood, Missouri
Your mother must be proud.
Reply · 5d

Aloysius Mcdonald
Cultural diversity = America. Multiculturalism = sh**hole
Reply · 5d

Chris Bock · Davis & Elkins College
When I was a kid, I lived in Spain for 3 years and the first thing you
learn on streets are how to curse in host country's language. I went
thru formal classes at school and then you learn real stuff on the streets.
Reply · 1 · 5d

Chris Dominici · Producer at USPS
Thank you, Mr. Klavan. Why is common sense a lost art?
Like · Reply · 18 · 6d

Jay Hoenemeyer · The Wharton School
They teach Critical Theory instead.
Reply · 6d

Jimmy Finley · Stanford University
Maybe he did say it, maybe he didn't. I hope he did, because it shows he
understands the world. However, I suspect what set it off was the "deal"
being proposed by Durbin and Graham - a stinker so foul, and so soon
after Trump's magnum opus immigration meeting. That they would
disrespect him so badly had to have shaken him to the core. After all,
he's the author of "The Art of the Deal". My guess is that he will get
behind the new House bill, and anything Cotton wants to add to it. The
Dems are now dead in his eyes. They either come to terms with him or the
misnamed Dreamers start to go back to a land where they actually speak
the language.
Like · Reply · 26 · 6d

Adam Hirschfelder · Director of Strategic Initiatives at California
Historical Society
There was time this once-interesting publication would be embarassed to
run a piece a piece like this, especially with a home base in a City
filled with entrepreneurs from 'shithole' countires of all kinds. What
the hell happned to you?
Like · Reply · 1 · 6d

Justin Maddox · Independant Drilling Contractor at Solid Drilling
Incorporated
People like sir are why we need to give America back to her people.
America first. Thank God for President Trump
Reply · 3 · 6d

Suzy Mitchell · Works at Stay-at-home parent
Adan H.,
The enterpreneurs you describe, can't help but wonder, why are they
"from" those other countries you describe as "shithole", with scarequotes.
Reply · 5d

Benjamin Halstrom · Flatbed Truck Driver at Metro Hardwoods
Spare us the "How dare you, Sir!" routine.
Reply · 1 · 5d
Show 6 more replies in this thread

Joy Swatsworth
I love this...it is true..he is not the career politician that many are
use to. But that is not why I voted for him..I voted for him because I
want to hear the truth...not the lies of past administrations. He said
he did not say it...those in the meeting say they did not hear him say
it...the dude who broke the story did this once before and another WH
had to call him on it...Obama's WH
did....https://www.politico.com/.../dick-durbin-repubican-leader...
Like · Reply · 25 · 6d · Edited
Load 10 more com