Rep. Matt Manweller aims to cut Evergreen off from state
a425couple
2017-06-02 23:26:04 UTC
Rep. Matt Manweller aims to cut Evergreen off from state
Share
BY MYNORTHWEST.COM
JUNE 2, 2017 AT 8:30 AM

State Rep. Matt Manweller represents Washingtons 13th District.
(Washington House Republicans)
As racial tensions escalate at Evergreen State College, one state
legislator is attempting to cut the college off from public support.

“At the end of the day, we the Legislature and the people have to speak
up and say, ‘We are not going to contribute our taxpayer dollars to a
college that wants to re-institute a Jim Crow approach to education and
segregation,” Representative Matt Manweller told KIRO Radio’s Dori Monson.

Manweller — who teaches political science at Central Washington
University — introduced a bill Thursday aimed at getting the state to
ditch Evergreen. The bill, if passed, would phase out Evergreen over
five years. After that, it would be a private college.

“When you cross the line and start attacking a Jewish professor when you
cross the line and you start telling white people or anybody based on
their skin color that they can’t come to school, that violates our
anti-discrimination laws,” he said.

RELATED: Anti-Trump vandals target “racist” art at Evergreen State College

Each year, to make a statement, students of color spend a day away from
campus. This year, the school changed things up by asking white students
to stay off of campus. A professor’s protest prompted an uproar on
campus with many students calling the professor racist. Administrators
attempted to address the issue. A threat, reportedly from white
supremacists, was called into the university and shut down campus Thursday.

The campus, according to KIRO 7, remains closed Friday.

Manweller argues that the college administration has handled the
situation poorly.

“Let’s take that money and give it to the UW engineering program, STEM
programs, math, science,” he said. “Let’s go compete on the global
market again with the Chinese, the Japanese, the Indians and bring
America back to technological prominence. Let’s spend the money on a
credible degree rather than a social justice, victimization, woe-is-me,
I want reparations, pseudo-science they are teaching at Evergreen.”

“My heart goes out to the non-crazy students, but there has to be change
at the top,” Manweller said, noting that he is not attacking the school
because it is a more liberal school.

“These guys are out of control,” he said. “They are openly advocating
for racism and bigotry. It’s not appropriate to be spending taxpayer
money on that. If they want to be a private institution and pursue their
bizarre, bigoted ideology, that’s their prerogative. But taxpayers
shouldn’t have to fund it.”

Whether the bill passes or not won’t be a concern for Manweller in the
end. It’s just a first step. If it doesn’t pass, he has other plans.

“We can also go after their budget … I’m going to go after their
budget,” he said.

https://mynorthwest.com/650230/manweller-evergreen-state-college-bill/
a425couple
2017-06-03 03:32:26 UTC
Post by a425couple
[...]
here is a copy of letter he sent:

Here is a copy of my letter to the Evergreen Administration.

Colleen,

I appreciate the fact that as the director of government relations for
Evergreen State College it is your job to put the best face on a
Kafkaesque situation. I think you've done the best that you could do
given the facts on the ground. But your email requires a frank and
honest response.

1. Your students are an embarrassment. They are in no way "struggling
with tension surrounding race, equity and inclusion." They are
struggling with an immeasurable sense of entitlement, self importance,
and ignorance. These debates have nothing to do with equity and
inclusion and everything to do with self-aggrandizing chest-thumping
virtue signaling. Trust me when I tell you that no one is moved by their
manufactured and insincere outrage.

2. Your faculty and administration are directly responsible for the
brown shirt actions of your students. These students did not graduate
from high school with ignorant, intolerant, and violent attitudes
towards race and gender. They were taught those values by your
faculty--a faculty obsessed with the pseudoscience of "social justice."

Might I suggest that your administration consider refocusing Evergreen
State College on the teaching of actual academics. Possibilities
include, but are not limited to subjects such as: chemistry, physics,
mathematics, literature, engineering, biology, accounting and business.

Unfortunately, as long as you are teaching your students that being
offended is an accomplishment I suspect they won't have many real
accomplishments in their life.

3. The response to this crisis by your administration has been cowardly
at best and complicit at worst. Your administration, by virtue of the
professors they have hired, the policies they have adopted and the
behavior that they have tolerated have created this sophomoric grievance
culture on your campus. It is easy to blame the children for their
behavior, but we should not lose sight of the fact that these children
were molded by your institution.

Instead of dealing with the students swiftly and decisively you have
chosen a path of appeasement. And in choosing appeasement you have lent
credibility to the way they are behaving. This is an abject failure of
leadership on all levels.

4. Finally, this is not what we are paying you for. You are a taxpayer
funded school and the taxpayers expect you to provide an environment of
education not a dystopia of indoctrination. If your goal is to create a
modern-day version of a reeducation camp, then do it on your own dime.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but my colleagues and I have had enough of
this ridiculous behavior fostered at our public institutions.

Matt Manweller