Flashback - POTUS Clinton admits he lied under oath
Add Reply
a425couple
2017-08-05 20:33:13 UTC
President Clinton admits he lied under oath about his affair with
Monica Lewinsky in 2001

BY HELEN KENNEDY
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Tuesday, January 19, 2016, 10:53 AM
(Originally published by the Daily News on January 20, 2001.)

WASHINGTON - President Clinton escaped indictment yesterday by
surrendering his Arkansas law license for five years and admitting that
he made false statements under oath about his affair with Monica Lewinsky.

"I hope my actions today will help bring closure and finality to these
matters," he said in a statement read by his press secretary after the
deal was cut.

It was an abrupt but fitting capper to the endless Gothic saga of
expensive investigations that led from a grubby land deal to a sordid
Oval Office sex farce.

PRESIDENT CLINTON DENIES HAVING AN AFFAIR WITH INTERN MONICA LEWINSKY IN
1998

One last time, Clinton dodged real punishment. And one last time, the
sex scandal clouded what should have been a shining farewell moment.

News of the deal with independent counsel Robert Ray also kept the
spotlight trained on the limelight-loving President during his last
hours in office, overshadowing preparations for President-elect George
W. Bush's inauguration today.

"You didn't expect us to go quietly, did you?" cracked one White House
aide, though sources said Clinton unsuccessfully tried to delay
announcing the deal until Monday to avoid interfering with the inaugural
celebrations.

The President, who swept into Washington amid a flurry of scandal
headlines eight years ago, left the same way.

He admitted giving misleading answers to Paula Jones' lawyers when they
tried to grill him about Lewinsky in a 1998 deposition.

Clinton denied he was having sexual relations with the White House
intern, figuring that because the affair was long over, and because they
did not engage in intercourse, he was not technically lying. The
evasions ultimately led to his impeachment by the House on charges of
perjury and obstruction of justice.

"I tried to walk a fine line between acting lawfully and testifying
falsely, but I now recognize that I did not fully accomplish that goal
and that certain of my responses to questions about Ms. Lewinsky were
false," Clinton said.

But he went out parsing until the end, admitting to giving "false"
answers - but not to lying.

His lawyer, David Kendall, told reporters that Clinton "did not lie. We
have not admitted that he lied, and he did not do so today. He has
conceded that he tried to conceal the relationship with Ms. Lewinsky."

As part of the deal, Clinton agreed to pay a $25,000 fine and gave up
his right to ask the government to fund his enormous court costs.

"The nation's interests have been served and, therefore, I decline
prosecution," Ray told reporters. "This matter is now concluded. May
history and the American people judge that it has been concluded justly."

The low-key successor to the zealous Kenneth Starr quoted Nuremberg Nazi
trial prosecutor Robert Jackson, saying, "The citizens' safety lies in
the prosecutor who tempers zeal with human kindness."

Ray's chances of securing an indictment - let alone a conviction - from
a Washington jury were widely considered slim to none.

The deal, which wraps up the two last loose ends - Clinton's possible
perjury indictment and the Arkansas Bar's pending disbarment proceeding
- was hammered out by Ray and Kendall amid a growing political consensus
that nothing would be gained from seeing a former President dragged into
court.

The woman at the center of the scandal cheered.
"I was terrified I would have to testify yet again, and I am grateful
this sword of Damocles that was hanging over me has finally been
removed," Lewinsky said.

The deal ended the years of probes and headlines and breathless TV
chatter with Clinton essentially getting off with a slap on the wrist.

Symbolically, having his law license suspended and admitting to
misleading lawyers under oath is a black mark on the President's
reputation. But in legacy terms, it will be lost in the much darker
stain of impeachment.

And because Clinton had no plans to practice law in Arkansas, in
practical terms it is akin to someone who doesn't own a car having his
driver's license suspended.

Clinton's most rabid critics were infuriated at the sight of bulletproof
Slick Willy dodging one final round.

Judicial Watch, the conservative legal group that has filed dozens of
fruitless lawsuits against the Clinton White House, responded with the
gut rage that many Clinton haters felt as they watched their last hope
of seeing him jailed evaporate.

The group slammed Ray, saying the deal was "an abuse of his office."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/bill-feds-cut-dealsurrenders-law-license-escape-ind-article-1.904790
a425couple
2017-08-05 23:18:07 UTC
Post by a425couple
[...]
from
http://www.snopes.com/bill-clinton-fined-and-disbarred-over-the-monica-lewinsky-scandal/

CLAIM
Bill Clinton was disbarred and fined over actions related to the Monica
Lewinsky scandal. See Example(s)

RATING
MOSTLY TRUE
ORIGIN
On 26 July 2016, shortly after Bill Clinton took the stage at the
Democratic National Convention to make the case that his wife Hillary
Clinton should be the next President of the United States, an image
purportedly listing the various fines and consequences he suffered for
lying under oath during the Monica Lewinsky scandal showed up on social
media.

The list displayed above is mostly accurate, although some of the claims
deserve extra clarification:

Bill Clinton was disbarred from practicing law in Arkansas and was also
disbarred from practicing law in front of the Supreme Court over the
Lewinsky incident.

While Clinton can no longer practice law in front of the highest court,
it’s not accurate to say that he was disbarred from either the Supreme
Court or from practicing law in Arkansas. Clinton’s license was
suspended in Arkansas, but he was not disbarred, and while Clinton did
face the possibility of being barred from arguing in front the U.S.
Supreme Court, he resigned before the ruling was handed down.

On his last day in office in 2001, Clinton agreed to a five-year
suspension of his Arkansas law license in order to head off any criminal
charges for lying under oath about his relationship with Lewinsky.
Clinton has been eligible to seek reinstatement of his license since
2006, but as of 2013 he had not applied to do so.

Shortly after Clinton’s license was suspended in Arkansas, the U.S.
Supreme Court suspended Clinton from presenting cases in front of the
highest court (which he had never done) and gave him 40 days to contest
his disbarment (which Clinton did not do). Instead, he resigned from the
Supreme Court bar:

Former President Clinton, facing the possibility of being barred from
practicing law before the U.S. Supreme Court because of the Monica
Lewinsky scandal, has resigned instead, his lawyer said.

“Former President Clinton hereby respectfully requests to resign from
the bar of this court,” his lawyer, David Kendall, said in a two-page
letter to the high court’s clerk. Kendall did not elaborate on why
Clinton decided to resign.

Clinton’s resignation from the Supreme Court bar will have little
practical impact. Clinton has not practiced before the Supreme Court and
was not expected to argue any cases in the future.
He also paid a $25,000 fine over the Lewinsky incident.

In addition to agreeing to a five-year suspension of his Arkansas law
license, Clinton accepted a $25,000 fine:

Mr. Clinton paid the fine with a personal check on March 21, said
Marie-Bernarde Miller, the lawyer who handled a disbarment lawsuit
brought by a committee of the Arkansas Supreme Court.

“The case is completed,” Ms. Miller said.
Clinton was fined $90,000 for giving false testimony in the Paula Jones
case.

In April 1999, U.S. District Judge Susan Webber Wright found Clinton in
contempt of court for giving false testimony in the Paula Jones sexual
harassment trial and fined him over $90,000:

The federal judge who found President Clinton in contempt of court
levied a penalty of $90,686 against him, making him the first chief
executive ever assessed such a payment.

Repeating her condemnation of Clinton for lying under oath in the Paula
Corbin Jones sexual harassment lawsuit, U.S. District Judge Susan Webber
Wright said that she was imposing the sanction to cover some of Jones’
legal expenses and “to deter others who might consider emulating the
president’s misconduct.”

Robert S. Bennett, Clinton’s private attorney, said that he would not
challenge the ruling. “We accept the judgment of the court and will
comply with it.”
He also paid an $850,000 settlement over the Lewinsky incident.

Bill Clinton did write a large settlement check, but that money went to
Paula Jones and not Monica Lewinsky,

In 1994, Paula Jones filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against Bill
Clinton. Thar case dragged on for four years (while Clinton was serving
as President) before it was finally settled in November 1998 with a
check for $850,000:

Clinton mailed the settlement cheque to Mrs. Jones, even as he braced
for the heaviest fallout yet from her harassment suit — an impeachment
trial in the Senate.

To finance the settlement, the president drew about $375,000 from his
and Hillary Rodham Clinton’s personal funds and got the rest of the
money, about $475,000, from an insurance policy, a White House official
told The Associated Press.

“This ends it. The check is being Fed-Exed” to Bill McMillan, one of
Mrs. Jones’ lawyers, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
Michael
2017-08-06 19:27:38 UTC
Post by a425couple
President Clinton admits he lied under oath about his affair with
Monica Lewinsky in 2001
LOL!~ This happened 16 years ago. Who gives a shit?