Car-hating Mike O’Brien makes no sense whatsoever
a425couple
2018-01-09 03:46:32 UTC
Rantz: Car-hating Mike O’Brien makes no sense whatsoever
Share
BY JASON RANTZ
JANUARY 8, 2018 AT 5:09 PM

Seattle Councilmember Mike O'Brien. (Seattle Channel file photo)
Seattle City Councilmember Mike O’Brien is maddening, not just because
he looks at everything through a far Leftist ideology, but because that
is what makes him so inconsistent and nonsensical.

Rantz: Despite investing millions, Seattle bike commuting declines again

In a recent interview on KUOW, O’Brien hysterically railed against
housing developments that build parking spots. He whined: “Why should we
as a city say ‘You have to build parking even if people don’t want it…’
because what that means is, we’re subsidizing parking, and if we really
want to be that city that addresses our climate needs, we can no longer
be subsidizing parking.”

Oh, wow. There’s a lot to analyze with this silly comment.

First: Mike O’Brien is implying a whopper of a lie. Seattle is in
desperate need of parking both in or near housing. We’ve been routinely
told that a huge part of traffic congestion in parts of the city is due
to drivers hunting, unsuccessfully, for parking spots. There’s virtually
no parking around transit centers, which is why Councilmember Rob
Johnson is looking for solutions. O’Brien doesn’t know this because he’s
a rich white cisgendered straight dude with privilege. Those of us who
live in apartments in Seattle are spending up to nearly $300 a month
just to park. That price is high due to something O’Brien never
understood: supply and demand. There’s a lack of supply and a high demand.

Second: He ignores that people want parking, but let’s live in his dream
world where no one wants parking because no one drives. His argument is
that we shouldn’t build expensive things that people don’t want. Great.
I mostly agree with that. But this is the guy who wasted over 1 million
on a bike share program few used and even fewer wanted. He supports
building interconnected bike lanes, taking lanes away from cars and
transit, that go almost entirely unused and cause more traffic while the
bike commuting continues to decline. It’d be great if O’Brien’s logic
extended to his bike riding hobby.

Third: Mike O’Brien’s not even really concerned with the economic
argument he so poorly makes, which explains why it’s so weak. He’s
really only taking an extremist environmentalist position (and yes, he’s
an extremist — if it were up to him, there’d be no cars on our road).
He’s anti-car because of the environmental toll cars can take (except
taxi cabs; those are the right kinds of cars because they’re supported
by the union he services in order to stay in power).

62 Comments
Share
Top Stories

http://mynorthwest.com/861907/mike-obrien-makes-no-sense/?
None of the Above
2018-01-10 14:33:40 UTC
On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 19:46:32 -0800, a425couple <***@hotmail.com>
wrote:

This ~is~ the same clowncil-twat that refused to allow city workers to
hose human waste off of sidewalks in front of city hall because it
reminded him of police hoses used against civil rights protesters down
south in the '60s.