A Seattle Voter's Open Letter to Cary Moon
a425couple
2017-08-05 01:48:54 UTC
Sometimes stupid progressive voters have stupid ideas.
Then there are those, that are SOOOOO stupid,
they have to be SEATTLE progressives.
Here is one letter from one.

A Seattle Voter's Open Letter to Cary Moon
by Sam Keller • Aug 4, 2017 at 9:20 am
submit to reddit
Cary Moon/Nikkita Oliver
Cary Moon/Nikkita Oliver NATE GOWDY
A few weeks ago, you said something that made me respect you: “We think:
Oh, we’re all good liberals, and give ourselves a pass. I believe it’s
our shared responsibility to work with people of color who have been
leading this effort for decades, and support them and listen to them to
make changes.” Now, with the numbers in, it’s time for you to live up to
those words and honor the leadership of people of color. You need to end
your candidacy for Seattle mayor and boldly support Nikkita Oliver.

I’m not a person of political importance. I’m a queer, mixed race,
light-skinned Latina living in West Seattle. Everyday I work to make the
world a better place at my non-profit job, and I raise my son the best I
can. You, Cary Moon, have real power. You can change the landscape of
this city with a few simple words: “I am intentionally stepping out of
the race for Seattle mayor.”

This must sound ludicrous to you. It sounds a little ludicrous to me as
I write this. It sounds especially ridiculous given King County election
law states that even if you drop out, Oliver's name won't appear on the
general election ballot. She would have to run as a write-in candidate.
Some will say this will hand Jenny Durkan the election on a silver
platter, but I think you understand this system will never present an
ideal path to power for women of color, unless white people like you
give up some power and take a risk. We have to start somewhere.

This is your only path to Victory. I don’t mean victory in the mayor’s
race, I mean Victory in moving this city forward. Victory in being a
real white ally by surrendering your power for the betterment of people
of color, namely black women in Seattle.

A mayoral race between you and Durkan will be two wealthy white women
deciding what working-poor people of color really need. How will that
end gentrification? How will that produce racial diversity? How can
people of color, renters, people who are homeless, people who are
underemployed, and/or people who have less than $400 in their savings
account—like the average American—see themselves in this race? We can’t.

By contrast, a mayoral race between Oliver and Durkan could be a
substantive debate about race, class, and lived experience. A black,
queer, lawyer-artist with lived experience most of us can relate to
would square off against a corporately-funded, personally-wealthy
establishment candidate (Durkan). We would find out what Seattle is
really made of.

You, and you alone, have the power to make this possible.

I know some people will shout, “You shouldn’t have to give up your
candidacy because you’re white.” But I think YOU are smarter than that.
I think you understand this isn’t giving up your candidacy because you
are white, but because you are a leader. One person can do the job of
mayor well, but this is about more than you. This is about what kind of
city Seattle wants to be. This is your chance to be a real public
servant, leader, example, and ally.

I am reminded of a moment from the Grammys this February. Adele won best
album over Beyoncé’s Lemonade. Lemonade is a better album. Even Adele
admitted it. A fantastic article from the blog Black Girl Dangerous
outlines how Adele spoke the right words, but words are not action.
Adele could have and should have declined to accept the Grammy. Because
actions are what matters in a system that disadvantages, hurts, and
often kills people of color. Cary, you are Adele. You would be a good
mayor, but you aren’t what’s best for Seattle in this moment.

Before the final primary votes are counted, Cary, I urge you to step
down. Real allyship with communities of color means surrendering your
power to lift up those who are oppressed by systemic racism. Cary Moon,
you can be a real ally. Show us you are action and not just words. If
you decide to stay in the race, Cary, I will vote for you in November.
But I hope you are better than that. You claim you aren’t a politician,
that you are a city planner. Prove it. Plan a better future for Seattle.
Step aside.

Sincerely,
Sam Keller
Seattle Voter

UPDATE: It was a nice intersectional/radical/batshit thought—depending
on who you asked—and Sam Keller, Seattle Voter, wasn't the only person
thinking along the Moon-drops-out-and-endorses-Oliver lines. Keller says
she's heard from lots of people today who agree with her and wanted to
thank her for writing her open letter. But Nikkita Oliver can't run as a
write-in candidate, as it turns out, even if Moon were to step aside—a
move the entire SECB would oppose, even the wing of the SECB that
endorsed Oliver. (A majority of the SECB backed Moon in
the primary—you can read our endorsement here—and I'm going to out on a
limb and predict that the SECB's support for Moon will be unanimous in
the general election.)

Take it away, Revised Code of Washington 29a.24.311:

(3) No person may file as a write-in candidate where:
(a) At a general election, the person attempting to file either filed as
a write-in candidate for the same office at the preceding primary or the
person's name appeared on the ballot for the same office at the
preceding primary;
If Oliver attempted a write-in campaign, votes for her wouldn't be
counted and she wouldn't be mayor even if she somehow wound up getting
more votes than Durkan. We should've checked that before running
Keller's open letter. Our apologies. Thank you, Slog Hive Mind, for
bringing it to our attention.

Now who will break it to Spekulation?

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2017/08/04/25329760/a-seattle-voters-open-letter-to-cary-moon
None of the Above
2017-08-05 09:08:10 UTC
On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 18:48:54 -0700, a425couple <***@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Durkan has the office, for all the good it will do to slow the city's
drain circling. As to Moon and Oliver, Seattle already has enough
BLM® camp followers on the city clowncil, thanks.