Everyone has to see rent control is the wrong option
Add Reply
a425couple
2018-01-29 23:56:38 UTC
Dori: Everyone has to see rent control is the wrong option
Share
BY DORI MONSON SHOW
JANUARY 29, 2018 AT 9:14 AM

(AP Photo/Ted S. Warren, File)
There’s an effort in Olympia that would allow cities to implement rent
control, even though there is a “consensus among economists that rent
control doesn’t work,” as Forbes contributor Roger Valdez puts it.

Washington lawmakers consider abolishing rent control

“What rent control does is it kills off supply because you destroy
financial inventive to be able to invest in making more housing,” he
told Dori Monson, who believes lifting the ban on rent control would be
disastrous. “If you believe in supply and demand, and high prices are an
indication of scarcity, then rent control just accelerates lack of supply.”

Valdez points out that rent control doesn’t mean cost control. Taxes and
utility rates will continue to rise, for example.

Valdez says lawmakers in Olympia are trying to say the effort is not
about controlling rent. But what it does is “take the cookie jar off the
top shelf and puts it on the counter.”

“The fact is, if this bill passes and becomes law, there will be rent
control in Seattle.”

Dori wonders why there is a push in Washington state when it’s obviously
not working elsewhere.

“What we’re seeing nationally with tax cuts and reduced regulations on
business, it provides for an economic boom. People are making more
money. It’s undeniable.

“Everyone has to see what our tax cuts have done for the economy and
individual workers, and yet we are 180 degrees different in our region
with skyrocketing taxes and increased regulation. How do the people see
what’s going on nationally and say, let’s do everything opposite of
what’s working everywhere else in America?”

Valdez says it’s the ideology of Seattle.

“… lefty Democrats — and they’re down in Olympia too — when you hear
them talk about housing you hear them say more money, more money, more
money. And what we really need is more housing, more housing, more housing.”

Unfortunately, they don’t want anybody to build it.

Listen to the entire conversation here.

27 Comments
Share
Top Stories

http://mynorthwest.com/882259/rent-control-wrong-option/
a425couple
2018-01-30 00:00:51 UTC
Post by a425couple
[...]
Comments include

DEC50 • 6 hours ago
Rent control should be in the hands of the property owner.

6
•Reply•Share ›
Attila • 7 hours ago
No, they don't have to see it.

The liberal Kool-Aid drinkers are gulping gallons of it down in
California. In the city of Stockton, the Dems are enacting a "universal
basic income" where government pays each citizen a minimum income just
because they have an obama to sit on.
Get ready because Seattle liberals will bring such awesome "thought" to
Washington State and people like Inslee and Sideshow-Bob will be more
than happy to act on it.

5
•Reply•Share ›
TheFormerChemist Attila • 6 hours ago
They already have one called DHS or SSI

3
•Reply•Share ›
ThatWasIt TheFormerChemist • 3 hours ago
Along with medicare, medicaid, and Obamacare...

•Reply•Share ›
thagreatestmanalive ThatWasIt • 33 minutes ago
And I bet your on all of them.

•Reply•Share ›
Common Cents Attila • 44 minutes ago
Eventually we will have to address the fact that employment as we know
it will not be an option for a large segment of our population. Not
saying that UBI is the answer at all but we had better start having real
discussions about it.

•Reply•Share ›
jd1958 • 7 hours ago
Rent control works if you want to change Seattle into a slum. They
implemented Rent Control in NYC.....after 20 years. NYC became the
biggest landlord. Owners could not adjust rents up, taxes kept going up,
maintenance and upkeep went down to a point to where the owners were
upside down due to taxation. They walked away from their properties and
NYC took over. The areas of the South Bronx became war zones. Literally.
Same in Brooklyn and Queens. I'm from NYC. I've watched this in action.

5
•Reply•Share ›
Attila jd1958 • 6 hours ago
You assume liberals care about wrecking cities and locales with "rent
control".

Every place I've seen it done, whole sections of cities (except for the
super-rich) take on a run-down, trashed, unmaintained atmosphere and façade.

It's all about buying/ pandering for the votes of apartment-trolls who
are currently planted in units, and shafting future renters and property
owners.

3
•Reply•Share ›
Ogre Is Wise • 6 hours ago
This is not about rent, it's about control. Anything that gets in the
way of government control and the lefties will abolish it to thunderous
applause.

4
•Reply•Share ›
Mike Mailway • 7 hours ago
There is a push for rent control so those renting will vote democratic.
It's about getting votes, maintaining power and then getting more money
for elected official salaries.

4
•Reply•Share ›
CandrewB Mike Mailway • 7 hours ago
The Seattle City Council is non-partisan and usually comes down to far
left vs even farther left. They are not worried about running against
republicans.

3
•Reply•Share ›
CandrewB • 8 hours ago
I predict if Seattle gets this through, it will generally apply to
single, detached homes and smaller 1-6 unit buildings. No way they step
on their developer friends' toes. Or they'll allow an exemption for this
fee or that. This will force home sales and small unit redevelopment
which is what they really want. They dream about all the churn taxes and
fees as well as economic activity they can drive to their benefactors.
Yes, all of this will remove affordable units but they don't care about
that.

4
•Reply•Share ›
TheFormerChemist CandrewB • 6 hours ago
No we will see a lot of older, rent reasonable apartments bought and
demolished for new, high rise dorm room sized apartments.....

Wait five years and see what Nickerson Street will look like.....

1
•Reply•Share ›
S. K. • 2 hours ago
Rent control works to control who owns the property. The city council
obviously has their eyes set on buying valuable properties for pennies
on the dollar once they pass the law.

My friend lived in Manhattan from 1972 to 2001 without a rent increase.
He moved out to the suburbs because he saved a ton of money on rent and
was able to buy his small farm for cash. Plus the building was a real
dump since most of the tenants lived in the building for at least 10 years.

If they pass the law here'w what will happen:
a) rents will go through the roof right before the law is implemented
since the building owners will only be able to raise the rent when
someone moves out.
b) building owners will be vigorously enforcing the rental rules to
terminate rental agreements so they can get new tenants at the current
market rate.
c) construction of new apartment units will cease
d) Apartment buildings will convert to condos

All in all, fewer apartments available.

The laws of supply and demand will always prevail. Supply will plateau
or decrease and rates will continue to increase.

Add more supply to meet or exceed demand and prices will level off or
decrease.

1
•Reply•Share ›
ThatWasIt • 3 hours ago
But I thought they were set to help make more affordable housing.
Rent control Will have the exact opposite effect - One idiot over the
limit...

1
•Reply•Share ›
Green Lake Privateer • 4 hours ago
price control = shortages

Economics 101, page 1 (Even at NC State University)

1
•Reply•Share ›
King _Leer • 6 hours ago
I bet a certain morning radio personality is on board.

1
•Reply•Share ›
no voice in SAYWA King _Leer • 6 hours ago
I would not know, I do not click on any of his links. Even though they
are putting comment links to try and make people think he accepts
comments. It is a pretty desperate move now that his clicks have
massively dropped off. Same with dumb and dumber.

3
•Reply•Share ›
King _Leer no voice in SAYWA • 6 hours ago
Did anybody notice there was zero new news since Friday? I come here for
the robust discussion. If I want news,there are options.

2
•Reply•Share ›
TheFormerChemist King _Leer • 6 hours ago
meh you were being muzzled this past weekend anyway about your diversity
comments....

I have started reading the Oregonian but even they are threatening to
turn off their comments sections as well....

2
•Reply•Share ›
King _Leer TheFormerChemist • 5 hours ago
You are probably right. Weird that I was saying I am dead against
discrimination in any form. Yes. Apparently that is not correct thinking.

•Reply•Share ›
thagreatestmanalive • an hour ago
If Seattle won't pass Rent Control, than Seattle needs to abolish
Initiative 200, community segregation, banks redlining, gentrification,
and passive-aggressive racism in education, housing, land ownership,
taxes, and small minority businesses.

•Reply•Share ›
Rex Jennings • 6 hours ago
“What we’re seeing nationally with tax cuts and reduced regulations on
business, it provides for an economic boom. People are making more
money. It’s undeniable".

Oh really? Tax cuts and reduced regulations on business?? And then you
woke up..

•Reply•Share ›
BitterClinger1969 • 8 hours ago
Well, what do you think of them apples Chuck?

•Reply•Share ›
Mortal Sin BitterClinger1969 • 4 hours ago
Chuck quickly becomes a conservative with the 2 magic words "rent control".
It's cool to be "Progressive" until your Ox gets gored.

1
•Reply•Share ›
James, Jessee James Mortal Sin • 3 hours ago
so true. Very easy to live in your own fairy tale if you can avoid reality
for as long as possible.
Long live the unicorn!!

•Reply•Share ›
BitterClinger1969 Mortal Sin • 4 hours ago
Exactly.